Talk

Advanced search

cost of food in FRENCH SUPERMARKETS- just how expensive will it be this year...

(94 Posts)
noonar Thu 23-Jul-09 17:58:59

... thanks to the terrible exchange rate? have already accepted that we are unlikely to eat out during our holiday to the dordogne, but will i want to weep at the supermarket checkout?

any tips on what's still good value/ what to avoid/ take with us( we are camping), would be greatly appreciated.

tia

noonar Thu 23-Jul-09 18:34:36

bump

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 18:37:43

ah noonar hello wink
we are taking a lot, namely:
passata
dried pasta
tinned tuna( for lunch)
we alwyas take mayo olive oil balsamic( that is open anyway just bung it in a freezer bag)
cereals
our fave cofee
squash( holiday treat)
crisps and biscuits( can be scoffed en route to stave off boredom)

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 18:38:30

take boring stuff then you can buy treats this year. Every year i say " right I am goign to treat myself to a session in a patisserie" adn every year it gets missed off

noonar Thu 23-Jul-09 18:42:07

thanks badger. good tips. is passata sauce etc really that exp or are you just trying to avoidbuying store cupboard stuff that you have at home anyway?

also, as we're lentil weavers, i thought i'd bring packs of dried soya mince and felafel mix etc grin oh, and of cousre, lentils.

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 18:43:07

Hmm, i presume by means of an exchange rate everything is but yes thats a good point
we are ina chalet so have a fridge freezer so we always buy a box of ice creams to save us money buying bob leponges at the shop/

noonar Thu 23-Jul-09 18:45:41

actually, badger, we're only camping for 4 days, then switch to a posh mobile home with deck etc.

like your ice cream idea, but dds really like the ritual of going to get their ice creams from camp shop, so not sure i'd get away with that!

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 18:47:02

yes i was the same til skinflint dh said that if we do that then they can have takeaway campsite pizza!

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 18:47:32

gosh your mobile home will feel like a des res

which site are you off to

noonar Thu 23-Jul-09 18:47:34

ah... sponge bob... now i get ya.

Portofino Thu 23-Jul-09 18:49:00

Um, well we're in Belgium so didn't have to suffer the exchange rate but France was definitely cheaper!

I lost track with UK prices, but our first shop cost 120 euros. This was for:

Salad (lots), fruit (lots), potatoes, onions, ham and cheese, butter, milk.

5 litre wine box blush plus 24 beers and a bottle of cognac. Bottled water and Orangina.

Pasta, pasta sauce, biscuits, crisps, bread, cereal.

A pizza, fish fingers, beef burgers, a load of kebabs, chops, chicken etc for bbqing.

I had a trolley FULL fwiw. We went for 2 weeks and I only did top up shoppng after that - more butter, ham, water, beer etc and we bought fresh bread every day.

noonar Thu 23-Jul-09 18:49:12

palombiere sarlat. are you in that part of france?

yes, that was the idea. make the mobile home seem really nice by providing a contrasting experience for us all before hand grin

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 18:50:34

it was all In The Plan then wink
we are on the SW coast.

noonar Thu 23-Jul-09 18:51:05

portofino, thats really useful. we spend about £100 ish on our main shop at home (per week- 4 of us) and i was worried france would be massively more exp.

Portofino Thu 23-Jul-09 18:52:18

I took oil, washing powder, toiletries, salt and pepper, salad cream....

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 18:52:47

oh eys all that - scourers j cloths loo roll

noonar Thu 23-Jul-09 18:53:30

yes badger, it was kinda. but more to do with wanting the dds to expereience a tent but knowing i couldnt cope with peeing in a bucket for a fortnight. ( am up loads in the night!!) anyway, sorry, TMI. coast sounds nice... maybe we shouldve done a 2 centre...

noonar Thu 23-Jul-09 18:55:42

but dont they produce olive oil in france? isnt that a bit like taking coals to newcastle? lol, i just remembered a mad woman i met in lefkas who took a litre of extra virgin TO greece with her on hols in her hand luggage- wtf! (in the days when you could...)

Portofino Thu 23-Jul-09 19:01:20

I think if you spend 100 quid a week, that works out about 120 euros so you should be fine. We weren't exactly adding it up as we went along....holiday splurging and all that...We were in Languedoc so probably cheaper "on the whole" compared to the Dordogne, but if you find an Auchan/Carrefour your groceries shouldn't be much different. It can be easy to get carried away in Auchan as they have such fabulous stuff!

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 19:04:01

yes but if we have it at home anwyay we just bung it in

steaknife Thu 23-Jul-09 19:11:55

If there is a choice of supermarkets near where you are going try ED if there isn't a Lidl. It is the same kind of non-label thing but with a proper meat counter and veg section.

Where we live - Alps - Geant and HyperU are thought to be expensive compared to Leclerc.

For wine go visit a wine merchant if you can, they will let you try before you buy and make up a box for you. Works out cheaper for nicer wine than the supermarket.

noonar Thu 23-Jul-09 19:12:14

thanks. will return to this thread when packing smile

steaknife Thu 23-Jul-09 19:12:42

Wish we had a Carrefour.

LIZS Thu 23-Jul-09 19:23:20

Will watch with interest . Last year we ended up buying mini portions of sugar - lots of them - so will take that back again ! Plus oil , ketchup, kitchen towel, loo roll, washing up liquid, teabags, washing and dw tablets .... may as well come out of our cupboard as buy again.

btw would be interested if anyone notices a reduction in vat on meals out which apparently went through recently but there is no obligation for restauranteurs to pass on hmm

steaknife Thu 23-Jul-09 19:30:33

LIZS - you'll be lucky. Absolutely no difference that I can tell.
In a news report before the change one chap was saying if the VAT was decreased he could employ loads more staff - as if suddenly he would be more busy and be need more staff, course not goes straight in the till more like.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: