Talk

Advanced search

What food essentials (if any) do you pack to go abroad?

(12 Posts)
janjas Wed 22-Jul-09 18:28:05

We are having a week abroad soon and staying in a villa. Ive only stayed in hotels before so this is all new to me! I know there is a bakery and butchers a few mins walk away but the supermarket is quite small and more like a corner shop (and quite expensive probably). We are planning on staying in and bbq'ing a lot as we have a 2 year old dd so wondered if anybody who has done this sort of holiday before has taken bits with them such as sauces, oils, tea coffee etc? Thankyou!

janeite Wed 22-Jul-09 18:29:42

I take nothing at all - but last year I wished I'd taken some Earl Grey teabags, so this year I will!

norksinmywaistband Wed 22-Jul-09 18:32:45

Always take weetabix, uht milk - so i never have to think about breakfast for the first day

tea , coffee - as you will never use whole packet/jar and its jut wasteful to buy out there.

tend to put a teatowel and washing up cloth in as well

annh Wed 22-Jul-09 18:38:19

Well, depends on whether you are driving or flying. If we drive, I always take the stuff of which you only use a little, as it's so annoying to have to buy a litre of olive oil or a huge packet of salt.

cthea Wed 22-Jul-09 18:41:32

Marmite for the kids.

Portofino Wed 22-Jul-09 18:44:23

I always take tea/coffee/sugar so you can always put the kettle on the moment you arrive. Took the car this year so packed, washing up liquid/washing powder/beans and sausages too. Depends on the villa but most places we've rented always had a supply of salt/pepper/herbs/oil etc and we just replaced stuff if it ran out.

One place actually had wine/beer/cream cakes in the fridge! It was so fab, we didn't dash to the supermarket til after it had closed which ended up with us buying milk for dd at the local pizza takeaway! blush We made sure we left similar for the next occupants....

applepudding Wed 22-Jul-09 22:51:39

T bags (because they are always so expensive) plus some dried milk, biscuits and a couple of those dried pasta in sauce meals - not because I like them but in case our flight is delayed and we get to our destination at 1.00 in the morning starving.

Also take a few dishwasher and clothes washing tabs if you have these facilities in your villa.

Oh, and a loo roll!

DadInsteadofMum Thu 23-Jul-09 09:53:43

A second on loo roll - adds almost nothing to your weight allowance but saves a lot of ... discomfort at the other end (of the journey).

cocolepew Thu 23-Jul-09 10:15:53

Coco Pops.

herbietea Thu 23-Jul-09 10:19:22

Message withdrawn

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 23-Jul-09 10:34:16

tea bags
hot choc for dd
washing up liquid
tabasco (enlivens rubbish camping meals)
washing tablets
sometimes marmite (goes off to cupboard to pack it)

Nefret Thu 23-Jul-09 10:50:25

It depends where you are going but when we go to Turkey I never take anything with me as I know I can get everything we need there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now