Talk

Advanced search

Travelling with a baby to cold climate - ADVICE???

(4 Posts)
TheBoosh Tue 21-Jul-09 16:53:56

I'm due any day now (well, in theory it was yesterday, but hey ho!) and we are trying to arrange a trip to Vienna in late November with our baby. Any advice anyone can give about what to pack for cold weather with a newborn would be gratefully received. Oh and any tips on flying with a newborn too!

Thanks

LIZS Wed 22-Jul-09 16:42:33

Layers you can remove when you go inside, all in one fleece suit and snowsuit for when you are outside for a prolonged period over cotton vest/long sleeved top/leggings (or tights). Hat, mittens and thick socks. It is perfecly acceptabel for baby-preschoolers to be stripped to long cotton underlayers/tights indoors.

A sling mught be snugger than a pushchair although you can use the rainshield as a wind/chill guard. We had a lambskin footmuff on ours. August-born dd survived a Swiss winter happily.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 22-Jul-09 16:48:31

I took DS to France in November last year, and it's his first birthday tomorrow so very similar timings to you

I took mostly short and long-sleeved vests and sleepsuits because they can't come apart in the middle and let the draughts in.

If you have a girl it's easier than with boys I think - very hard to get trousers with feet attached for boys and at that age it's a nightmare getting them to keep socks or booties on.

You definitely want to be able to strip off some layers indoors easily - I found a loose tank-top was perfect as a top layer because you can get it on and off them while they are asleep!

sunnydelight Thu 23-Jul-09 02:41:52

Remember, countries that get very cold are generally geared up to that. We were surprised when we took DS1 (then 5 months) to Denmark at New Year that the indoor temperature in many houses meant that we all needed to strip to t-shirts as soon as we got in as the heating was so efficient. I ended up more worried about overheating than how to keep DS1 warm outside.

As others have said, layers are the way to go with a nice thick snowsuit, and hat of course, for when you are out and about. Use a sling to keep the baby snug as well. With flying I've always found the younger the better, just make sure that if you're not bf or giving the baby a dummy you have a bottle ready to be sucked on at takeoff and landing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now