Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for hotels on International Drive Florida.

(15 Posts)
Skribble Fri 20-May-05 22:06:26

We are about to book 2 weeks for next easter. Never been before and want a decent but not expensive hotel.

Thomas Cook are doing free kids so if you know one they do that would be great.

Kids are 5 and 7 so we don't need baby things.

We are going to be concentrating on Universal and the attractions on their multi ticket.

We don't want to hire a car.

Any other advise and must do's.

lemonice Fri 20-May-05 22:24:06

Make sure they're not "motel style" ie individual locked rooms off a concrete balcony as your partner will end up in one room and you in the other this happened to us and rather spoilt the holiday

chipmonkey Fri 20-May-05 22:26:48

We stayed in the Ramada Inn years ago. Rooms were lovely, like little apartments with a little kitchen. Very high rise though.

Skribble Fri 20-May-05 22:38:41

Thanks you two.

Never would have thought about a motel not suiting, Ramada sounds good are they all high rise or motels. Any low rise?

soapbox Fri 20-May-05 22:54:41

I wouldn't dream of booking anywhere until I had looked at trip advisor

I have stayed at the Vistana Village Resort twice and loved it. You do get hassled a bit over the timeshare presentations but I just let rip and never had another call from them

Really really beautiful place with super pool and nice childrens play area etc.
It was very handy to have a proper apartment with a big washing machine and tumble dryer, and full kitchen facilities. The two bed one is great - has a jacuzzi in the master bedroom.

I would not hesitate to recommend it. Worth searching around on prices - we got ours for $160 per night - about £90. There is a little shop/deli on site where you can get bits and pieces from and a publix supermarket just round the corner. The designer discount mall is just over the road too

The I-drive trolley bus stops right out side and there is a shuttle service to disney too!

Skribble Fri 20-May-05 23:10:00

Sounds interesting I thought it was just high rise hotels on I drive.

On the subject on time share I got a recorded message on my phone offering a free 10 day holiday to florida if I booked a multi pass ticket. I knew it was time share but I pressed 0 to find out more. The deal was we had to attend a half day presentation when we were there. I was just thinking I could cope with that when I got cut off. Was I saved or should I go and use and abuse them.

soapbox Fri 20-May-05 23:12:19

Skribble - read the tripadvisor reviews!

One or two people who hung on right to the end of their holidays before going got $100 for attending. Some others found it a bit abusive!

I just couldn't be done with the hassle of it, but if you're stong willed and can hold out til the last day then $100 ain't bad is it???

soapbox Fri 20-May-05 23:14:50

Sorry meant to say its at the north end of I-drive just a bit further along the road from Seaworld. I liked that because the centre of I-drive gets so heavily congested it can take an hour to travel 1/2 mile! If you want to be able to walk everywhere then you would be better to stay in the centre though!

MeerkatsUnite Sat 21-May-05 09:01:13

Would recommend also you look at tripadvisor's website. You do not want to make an expensive mistake with regards to the accomodation. Would agree with Lemonice - many of thse motel style rooms with external corridors can be pretty grim.

Would have a look-see at the Embassy Suites on I Drive. Those rooms are all suite based so you can all have some more space.

They also do a free breakfast every day in their restaurant downstairs (hot food as well as cereal).

Would strongly suggest you do not stay any further north than the junction of I Drive and Sandlake Road (its just one parade of shops after another and its just look tacky). The south end of I Drive (down towards the Orlando Pointe Shopping area) is quieter than the "northern end" beyond Sandlake Road. There's plenty of restaurants that end as well.

Would also suggest you look at Universal Orlando's website as this lists all the height requirements for the attractions there.

The more you prepare for a trip like this in advance the better off you will be.

Skribble Wed 25-May-05 23:12:34

Thanks again, its quite daunting booking a holiday like this. We,ve not even done med holidays as a couple or as a family, altough I,m getting quite an expert on Paris and DLP .

I was worried about ending up in a dodgy part, a travel agent advised the middle of I drive so we could walk to and from restruants in the evening.

Had a look at Sky Travel web site but I can't get a quote for Easter next year, same for Thomas Cook site, just about to look at trip advisor so I will probably be back with more Q's.

FIMAC1 Thu 26-May-05 06:52:51

We used to live in the States and visited Florida frequently and did not feel unsafe in Orlando at all - we quite often stayed in Lake Buena Vista area, the Holiday Inn Family Suites came highly recommended and we loved it there. The pool was superb!

http://www.hifamilysuites.com/indextourb.html

FIMAC1 Thu 26-May-05 07:01:49

This is a good online company we have used, with great rates:

http://www.hotelkingdom.com/

They have lots of very good properties in Kissimmee, which is a nice area. I am surprised that I Drive was recommended as it seemed to be a bit less salubrious the ones I have mentioned.

SecondhandRose Thu 26-May-05 07:37:21

Wouldn't say there is a dodgy part really. I've never felt safer in Orlando/Kissimmee. I've never seen a gun except on a cop and the last two times we've been we both noticed we didn't hear anyone swear (only us that is).

Try to avoid the old fashioned room with two double beds and a bathroom. They call rooms with a kitchen and sitting room either efficiencies or suites.

Why don't you want a hire car? There is so much to see and do and you don't want to miss Super Walmart and Super Target on the 192! Best car deals we found are on www.dollar.co.uk If you are buying a fly drive just don't pick up the car at the airport as they work out more expensive than booking direct. We got a Chrysler Voyager type car with all insurance for two drivers for £426 for two weeks.

tallulah Thu 26-May-05 19:01:56

If you don't want a car make sure you go for a hotel that offers a free courtesy bus to the parks. We stayed at the Ramada on I Drive (one of those with balcony- can't see the problem), and at the Howard Johnson's right up by Wet n Wild. Both in walking distance of the Ponderosa, the Black Angus and the other buffet chain (whose name escapes me). Howard Johnson's had rooms inside rather than the balcony type (2 big beds- slept 4 of us), but only ran one bus a day, while the other one did 2 or 3.

Skribble Sun 29-May-05 23:41:00

Thanks again everyone, had a look at trip advisor. Found out that the first 2 weeks in april are still spring break so I'm hoping we don't end up with lots of college kids everywhere. I'm imagining club 18-30 type atmosphere.

I like the idea of a suite so once the kids are in bed your not sitting right next to them on a bed trying not to wake them.

I was always put off hiring a car due to all the added costs, but I have found out my work has good discounts on villas so a car would be essential if we went for this. 1 weeks at Easter would be about £450 for villa is this good?

I have also found out that a lot of roads don't have pavements apart from I-drive making it difficult to walk to restruants etc even nearby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now