Talk

Advanced search

Help with Car seat on Air Malta

(9 Posts)
HopesMummy Thu 16-Jul-09 15:59:56

Hello, I'm new to the forum, I wonder if anyone could help me.

I have just booked a seat for my 20 month old with Air Malta (Airbus 320). They are being a bit vague on which car seat I can use. Can anyone recommend a particular model? We have britax models (eclispe si and first class si)in our cars.

MoonchildNo6 Thu 16-Jul-09 17:14:17

Why are you bringing a car seat on board a plane? at 20 months he can sit in your lap for take off and landing and then if you are hiring a car at the other end just get them to include a car seat.

HopesMummy Thu 16-Jul-09 18:21:16

We decided to book her a seat since she is extremely active and wouldn't sit still - when we made the booking, there was reference to a requirement that we would need to take a car seat to fit in the seat, but we can't seem to work out exactly what car seats are accepted.

If she was younger, we'd probably sit her on our laps, but there is no way she'll do that for 3 1/2 hours! (and the tickets were cheap).

LIZS Thu 16-Jul-09 18:23:33

You may struggle as you need to ensure the width will fit the airline seat and that it can be fixed with a lapbelt. Some airlines insist on it being CAA rated. tbh I would n't bother, you'll still have to sit her on your lap for takeoff and landing anyway.

millimummy Fri 31-Jul-09 16:15:13

Dear all, I am reading the posts with interest as we are still trying to find a carseat to take with us, mainly because I do not trust car hire company seats. I suppose the alternative is to buy one when we get there?

I found some articles by googling. Perhaps try talking to Britax and also Air Malta?

www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-45250.html

Any other suggestions please?

millimummy Fri 31-Jul-09 16:17:37

Also there is a mumsnet thread about a car seat on an air new zealand flight that has some more info

millimummy Fri 31-Jul-09 16:18:17

btw we are travelling with BA and I seem to get a different answer every time I talk to someone

MrLSG Fri 31-Jul-09 16:37:53

Just take one of the seats you already have - the narrower one if there is a difference. We've flown many times with under 2s and never had a problem with baby seats fitting. I don't like the baby seats you get with hire cars: they always seem to be extremely basic and charge too much.

[We did almost have a problem once when boarding a Northwest flight in Amsterdam and a security man asked us if it was US-approved? Of course not I said, why would a european seat be US approved? He let us on.]

HopesMummy Wed 05-Aug-09 08:58:02

Thanks all for your replies. I have also been adivised to check out a "Cares Harness" as an alternative. Apparently they are FAA approved in America and Canada - they fit directly onto the plane sit/seat belt. We checked with Air Malta and they have said they will accept it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now