Talk

Advanced search

Is European formula milk the same as in the UK?

(11 Posts)
DebiTheScot Thu 16-Jul-09 14:05:33

Going to Portugal in 2 weeks. DS2 drinks SMA follow on at the moment, will I be able to buy that there or are the brands in Portugal different to here?

LIZS Thu 16-Jul-09 16:47:58

Aptimil/Milupa and Hipp are sold in Europe, but check make up instrcutions cos they vary, plus various Nestle ones. Never seen SMA

RachieW Thu 16-Jul-09 16:53:36

Ds drinks Aptamil and when we were going to Cyprus earlier this year I emailed them for advice. They said that the formula will be slightly different in each country so advised taking your own. I would contact SMA to find out about theirs. Oh and then when we got to Cyprus Aptamil was £20 for about 500g!!!! Glad we packed our own.

DebiTheScot Thu 16-Jul-09 19:17:41

£20 for 500g!!! Blimey, maybe we'll just take our own.

Julesnobrain Thu 16-Jul-09 23:55:45

Aptilmal widely used in Europe. My 2 DC used it. Didn't find it much more expensive than the UK but never taken DC to Portugal(experience Spain,France,Germany, Italy and Belgium)

moaningminnie2020 Fri 17-Jul-09 22:49:48

I saw aptamil in portugal, was VERY expensive though, about £15 I think. The babyfood was expensive too but seemed ok, hard to find non-nestle stuff though.

Jemli Fri 17-Jul-09 22:51:33

Anyone had any experience of switzerland. DS on SMA, but will be 1 when we go to CH in septmeber. Would changin formula make much difference at that age

LIZS Sat 18-Jul-09 09:15:55

No SMA in Switzerland - Aptamil, Nestle, Hipp available in supermarkets and a few local more brands whose names I've forgotten from chemists. Lots are vanilla or chocolate flavoured ! There is ready made formula for over 10 months in small cartons next to the uht or just use regular milk if he is over 1.

Jemli Sat 18-Jul-09 15:16:05

LIZS - Thanks for that

BikeRunSki Sat 18-Jul-09 16:24:13

I have just been to France to visit my sister and asked her to check out what brands of formula she could get out there. Hipp was the only one that was familiar, and again it was about £17 for a tub. DS is 10 months old, so we decided it wouldn;t matter if he didn't have he normal formula (Farley's Nurture) and took some of those HiPP sachets. Easy to travel with , and we sent some ahead. Hipp Sachets

DebiTheScot Sat 18-Jul-09 18:13:32

they look good bikerunski Might get some of them. Or might just take a small tub of sma and if we run out he can just have cows milk as he'll be almost 1 anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now