Talk

Advanced search

What is Calais like as a place?

(10 Posts)
randomtask Thu 16-Jul-09 09:56:11

There's a great P&O deal on at the moment and if DH and I go for the day as foot passengers, it'll cost £16 for both of us to return.

We were going to have a week off together (DS will be at his grandmothers) and unfortunately we can now only have one day.

I'd like to do something 'different' but not if Calais is a hole or, if being a foot passenger means we're going to spend half the day travelling on foot from the ferry port to the 'main centre'.

Any advice/experiences?!

Claire2301 Thu 16-Jul-09 09:59:24

If you get a good day you will be fine- you can sit on the beach, get lunch from the FAB boulangerie 2 mins walk from the beach and then maybe have a nice meal in "Cafe De Paris" in one of the main streets in Calais- nice french/belgian menu. If the weather is rubbish then there really isn't much to do... unless you REALLY like hypermarkets!

randomtask Thu 16-Jul-09 10:00:28

Hmm. It is easy to travel to from the ferry port though?

Also, does anybody know if it costs (and how much if so) to park at Dover?

Claire2301 Thu 16-Jul-09 22:02:44

There is street parking at Dover. Will see if I can find info on busses to Calais centre for you.

Claire2301 Thu 16-Jul-09 22:13:46

helpful website

UnquietDad Thu 16-Jul-09 22:17:40

It's actually all right. The port area is grim and functional but there are some nice older parts and your "typically French" streets as I recall. Boulogne much nicer though, with as proper walled "old town". Or it was 15 years ago - may not be now...

wonderingwondering Thu 16-Jul-09 22:17:53

The ferry co's used to provide a bus from the port into town. Is def not a hole, is quite pretty, with the clock tower, and you'd get lunch there. I've done a day-trip, when I was a student, not a bad day out, though not wildly exciting.

wonderingwondering Thu 16-Jul-09 22:19:50

That sounded a bit negative, sorry - for £16 for 2 people I'd do it! You'll have a nice wander around town, lunch and might be able to get to a decent beach for a walk.

Eve4Walle Sun 26-Jul-09 09:31:48

Calais is not great TBH.

It's worth considering a 20 minute drive if you can do it to St Omer, where it's more 'provincial' and there is a fab Auchan supermarket. This is where we always head to and we always have a lovely day.

janmoomoo Wed 29-Jul-09 16:12:23

Yeh, Calais not that exciting. Boulogne better. But it could be a nice trip esp if you have a nice long lunch. I think its a courtesy bus from port to town but havent done it for a long time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now