Talk

Advanced search

Belfast for the weekend?

(16 Posts)
NeedCoffee Wed 15-Jul-09 10:07:01

I'm thinking about taking OH for his birthday in Feb, have found some cheap flights, oh possibly Dublin but they are a bit more expensive. Does anyone have any experience of either? I haven't a clue what is there, or what the difference between Belfast City airport and the other one!!

Help please!

NeedCoffee Wed 15-Jul-09 10:56:54

bump!

cocolepew Wed 15-Jul-09 11:01:32

Belfast City Airport is the closest, literally 10 minutes away from the city center.

NeedCoffee Wed 15-Jul-09 11:02:32

thank you, is it OK for eating out/sightseeing etc?

cocolepew Wed 15-Jul-09 11:05:06

Yes, there's some lovely places, we have recently got a new shopping complex, Victoria Centre , with shops and eating out. But the City is stuffed with pubs with good eating out. Bring your raincoat.

NeedCoffee Wed 15-Jul-09 11:05:55

aw thank you, just hope the flights are still there! Can you reccomend any hotels please?

cocolepew Wed 15-Jul-09 11:06:21

this might help.

nigglewiggle Wed 15-Jul-09 11:11:59

I love it. DH is from there and we go over all the time. You can do all sorts of sightseeing. They do a tourist bus and there is a new Titanic Quarter.

Are you taking children?

If you are prepared to travel there is the Giant's Causeway and Bushmills on the North Coast.

There is a lovely shop which does fab food in the city centre called Evoca (i think that's right, will check).

A great pub called The Crown in the City centre which is wonderfully decorative inside and is now owned by the National Trust. It serves great Guinness.

Don't be put off by the stuff on the news, it's very small pockets of trouble in particular areas and the locals are really friendly.

Will ask DH if I've missed anything.

nigglewiggle Wed 15-Jul-09 11:14:53

Thanks coco, we're over next month and will check out the tall ships!

nigglewiggle Wed 15-Jul-09 11:19:42

Shop/cafe is called Avoca smile.

nightshade Wed 15-Jul-09 11:34:15

if you want slightly pricier but great eating try and book Ginger, which is just off great victoria street.

i think they may also do lunch. they have a web site.

nightshade Wed 15-Jul-09 11:36:07

botanic avenue, dublin road and around the shafestbury square area all full of bars.

NeedCoffee Wed 15-Jul-09 11:37:33

Thanks guys, have just booked the flights, £1 pp each way, plus £20 handling fee so £24 in total grin

Will check the different places out, may have to book a hotel nearer the time as off away tomorrow and would be using spending money!

Not taking the kids, will need to arrange sitters nearer the time.

trefusis Wed 15-Jul-09 11:42:09

Message withdrawn

trefusis Wed 15-Jul-09 11:44:32

Message withdrawn

NeedCoffee Wed 15-Jul-09 11:48:26

haha trefusis! I doubt I'd be able to sleep there. No kiddiwinks

Am quite excited now, wonder if I can keep my mouth shut for a whole 7 monthshmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now