Talk

Advanced search

Need ideas for non-perishable snacks for long journeys?

(13 Posts)
TheRedSalamander Tue 14-Jul-09 12:28:25

Travelling to middle of France with 2 ds's (4.7 and 12months) and needing inspiration for snack ideas to keep them going on the journey.

Raisins, fruity pouches, cereal bars all as standard- any more ideas? Just so I can pack a selection that might stop them getting bored for ooooh, more than 30 seconds wink

Cies Tue 14-Jul-09 12:31:52

bread sticks
biscuits

MrsMcCluskey Tue 14-Jul-09 12:32:31

cereal and longlife milk
croissants
rich tea bisuits

Good luck we did that drive last summer
It wasnt too bad really
Would recommend a DVD player though!!

CMOTdibbler Tue 14-Jul-09 12:34:01

plastic bag with a mixture of dried fruit (raisins, apple, apricots. mango, pineapple etc) and cereal (shreddies, cheerios, mini shredded wheat with fruit centres) - good for a rummage through so keeps interest for ages

Salt n shake crisps - just take the salt packet out before handing over

Mini cheddars

bosch Tue 14-Jul-09 12:36:18

Currant buns.
apples as sometimes you want something basic/juicy.

LaundryFairy Tue 14-Jul-09 12:54:17

oatmeal raisin / oatmeal chocolate chip biscuits
flapjacks
chocolate covered raisins

TheRedSalamander Tue 14-Jul-09 13:40:28

agree about the dvd player mrsmclusky

we do have one although I fear it hasn't survived the barrage of cheerio insertion it had to endure when we were encouraging ds1 to stay in bed a little bit longer of a weekend morning last summer, he "wanted to see what would happen" if he tried to get it to play dry cheerios (left on his bedside table the night before in preparation for his early morning wake up) instead of peppa pig. It does play but only randomly and so will go for ages without doing anything and then start unexpectedly. I nearly crashed the car because of a wayward Daddy pig grunt.

MrsMcCluskey Tue 14-Jul-09 17:42:06

grin
they have them on offe in Aldi on Thurs

FritesMenthe Tue 14-Jul-09 18:08:50

Your list sounds good.
I'd add:
individually wrapped brioche
fruit flakes or yoghurt coated fruit
apples
bottles of water - the kids ones with pictures on
jelly babies to be passed over from the front seat at moments of crisis

Can I also recommend paper seat covers to protect your upholstery, and plenty of wipes and rubbish bags.
Also story CDs are a good alternative to DVD - borrow them from the library.

silverfrog Tue 14-Jul-09 18:16:09

holland and barratt have a coconut bar which is quite tasty (and very filling!)

I have also used Larabars (can get some flavours in Sainsburys, but there are loads of othe rflavours available too)

and fruit crisps - my dds love the apple crisps you can get (also Sainsburys, lunchobx snack area)

duckyfuzz Tue 14-Jul-09 18:24:04

M&S cheesy mice (6 pack) are a hit with mine

mrsmaidamess Tue 14-Jul-09 18:24:52

A whole French stick

mnt Sun 12-Jun-11 22:35:58

I recently tried some fruit crisps called Nim's at the Foodies Fair that were really nice. Quite unusual - they had mango and pineapple mix, which were my favourite. My daughter loved the apple and strawberry and surprisingly my 6 year old son loved the orange crisps! Not sure if they're available in supermarkets but I ordered on line.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: