Talk

Advanced search

Going to Mallorca for the first time - do I need to buy a Spanish dictionary ...

(16 Posts)
Snowstorm Mon 13-Jul-09 14:23:14

... or will I get by by learning 'please' and 'thank you' in Spanish and then the rest in English?

ihavenosecrets Mon 13-Jul-09 14:25:21

Whereabouts in Majorca?

PestoMonster Mon 13-Jul-09 14:25:39

I think you'll find as it's a tourist hot-spot that most people will speak Spanish. However, I always find it helps if you make an effort to learn a few phrases in the local language before you go and use them. I think it's a politeness thing, although not strictly necessary.

Have a good time smile

PestoMonster Mon 13-Jul-09 14:26:04

Duh, meant English, not Spanish blush

Iklboo Mon 13-Jul-09 14:28:30

IIRC Spanish isn't that difficult to pick up the basics - please,thank you, numbers, beer grin, hello, goodbye etc

But if you're getting a phrase book make sure you get one with phonetic pronunciation in.

Apparently some Spanish people really hate people asking for San Migwell wink

HolidaysQueen Mon 13-Jul-09 14:29:16

I think a few words of Spanish will go a long way to making people warm to you, but you shouldn't have too many problems with just using English in Majorca.

A phrase book might be the best thing rather than a dictionary as it will help you with sentences and the more specific touristy type things.

To start you off:

- Buenas Dias (Hello/Good Day)
- Por favor (Please)
- Gracias (Thank you)
- Habla ingles? (Do you speak English?)

Snowstorm Mon 13-Jul-09 14:29:32

Will be trying to learn a few phrases (agree that it's polite) but just wanted to know what the actual situation was - so thanks for that.

First trip to Mallorca - going to Puerto Pollensa.

Rubyrubyrubyislosing7lbs Mon 13-Jul-09 14:30:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Snowstorm Mon 13-Jul-09 14:32:49

Phonetic pronounciation would be very important ... but then again I could use my one foreign accent (applies to attempts at all languages) and just guess the rest!!!

Snowstorm Mon 13-Jul-09 14:34:34

HolidaysQueen - am familiar with most of those but how do you pronounce "habla ingles" - phonetically?? grin

Iklboo Mon 13-Jul-09 14:35:50

Habla in glaze I think

ihavenosecrets Mon 13-Jul-09 14:37:34

Puerto Pollensa is very popular with european tourists and English is widely spoken there.

flowerpotwoman Mon 13-Jul-09 14:52:08

Abla in glaze (the 'h' is silent).

Snowstorm Mon 13-Jul-09 14:54:22

Thank you!

JumeirahJane Tue 14-Jul-09 07:24:08

If your DCs are old enough, consider taking a basic phrase book - it can be quite fun for them to e.g. learn the different flavours of ice cream and ask for their own.

And if they're younger, I'd think I'd be paranoid about not being able to communicate in case I needed something for them from a pharmacy or doctor. Think 'necessity' not 'effort'.

Maybe that's just me though... smile

Snowstorm Tue 14-Jul-09 11:33:12

Good point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now