Talk

Advanced search

what does my dd need for travelling to Europe?

(8 Posts)
kiwibella Mon 13-Jul-09 14:06:44

My dd (13) is going to Europe for a week with another family - who we have known for a couple of years. What information should I give them... what does she need to take with her?

I've thought about our phone numbers, her doctor's name and details, her NHS number.

We are going to organise individual travel insurance cos we have it as a family. Any alternatives?

What am I missing... or what would the family find useful to know?

jkklpu Mon 13-Jul-09 14:10:15

EHIC card to cover health insurance and you should get her a decent travel insurance policy as well. Photocopy of her passport in case she loses the original, phone number or nearest British embassy/consulate. Info on what vaccinations she's had might be an idea as well.

kiwibella Mon 13-Jul-09 14:28:54

thanks for suggestions jkklpu! Very helpful.

kiwibella Mon 13-Jul-09 14:28:54

thanks for suggestions jkklpu! Very helpful.

kiwibella Mon 13-Jul-09 14:59:55

does anyone have any advice or recommendations for a "decent" travel insurance policy - for a 13 yo child travelling independent of her immediate family.

kiwibella Mon 13-Jul-09 20:11:58

bump... appreciate travel insurance recommendations for my dd travelling without us!

jkklpu Mon 13-Jul-09 21:34:51

have a look at something like comparethemarket.com
You want something with a health limit of at least £5million (sounds ridiculous but if you get an annual one for Europe and US, in case you're going there/elsewhere as a family in the next 12 months, it will be worth it. American health costs are truley eye-watering. And you'll want something to cover cash (assuming she doesn't have a credit card) she might be carrying and other specifics up to certain value camera/phone/luggage/other stuff. And up to you whether to insure for cancellation/other travel disruption.

If you've travelled already as a family your dd would be covered by your existing policy. Depending on your travel plans for the rest of you, might be worth getting a family one in any case. But one-trip offers are available, too.

kiwibella Mon 13-Jul-09 22:02:30

thanks jkklpu... we do have a family policy so I'll check whether she is still covered while travelling without us. I was only thinking about covering those "what-if" emergencies and didn't even think of lost luggage, personal items etc etc.

comparethemarket here I come grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now