Talk

Advanced search

Does baby need photo ID to fly Edinburgh London?

(11 Posts)
mssally Fri 10-Jul-09 11:51:53

I'm thinking of flying with British Airway from Edinburgh to London and wondering if my 17month old will need photo ID. Its too late to get a passport and she doesn't have a drivers license wink Does anyone have any experience of needing ID or will her birth certificate do?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 10-Jul-09 20:40:49

I would assume so, but have you checked their website?

FlappyTheBat Fri 10-Jul-09 20:43:39

No, as long as they are not flying on their own.

For internal flights, children can travel without photographic ID as long as the accompanying adult has photographic ID.

The airlines assume that the adult responsible for children can vouch for their identity, therefore removing the need for separate ID.

JoesMummy09 Fri 10-Jul-09 20:55:46

Check their website. You may need their birth cert.

I recently flew with DS and DH with Air South West. Neither I nor DH needed photo ID (although some airlines insist on it) and DS being under 12 did not need anything (other than a thorough inspection from a v broody check-in lady).

nigglewiggle Fri 10-Jul-09 20:59:16

I have flown internally with FlyBE and Air Southwest and didn't need any ID for children.

But as Joes says, check FAQ's on website.

mssally Mon 13-Jul-09 13:05:15

Thanks for your advice. I did try the british airways website, but it was amazingly useless. I phoned their helpline and was told my daughter did require photographic id, and then when my husband phoned to say that was ridiculous they said she didn't. They said that if the child ticket is booked at the same time as the adult ticket and is booked on a bank card and that bank card is present at check-in then no-one needs photo id. Who would have thought it was so complicated to fly a kiddie to London!

DebiTheScot Thu 16-Jul-09 13:54:25

take her birth certificate just in case. I've flown with babies lots of times (to Scotland and back) and have never been asked for any id apart from the last time I flew up. Was flying Aire France from London City to Dundee and they nearly didn't let me through the gate (had already checked in though!) without id for ds2. They said I had to get it for the return flight and show it then- luckily I was able to get it but then they didn't ask for it!

lotsofchocs Thu 16-Jul-09 14:04:17

Hello, I'm travelling from London to Skye by train with dh and 2 kids (3 and 5). Too late to get sleeper cabins, so trying to decide between sleeper reclining seats or travelling all day. Any recommendations?

Many thanks

lotsofchocs Thu 16-Jul-09 14:05:30

blush oops meant to start a thread please ignore that - will repost!

birdseed Mon 20-Jul-09 22:42:09

No, birth certificate fine.

bitofadramaqueen Wed 22-Jul-09 20:19:49

I've flown BA between London and Edinburgh with DS and never been asked for id for him. We did check about id the first time (can't remember if it was online or by phone) and we definitely didn't need it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now