Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for non-boring holiday with 11yr old DD please!

(8 Posts)
GrimmaTheNome Thu 09-Jul-09 18:20:45

This Easter we took DD abroad for the first time - Pompeii, Vesuvius etc, lovely hotel with pool, huge success.

The problem is how to follow it! We had toyed with Florida - Kennedy Space center sounded good but DH and I revolted by brochures of Orlando. So fake, we want to do something real.

DH found something we thought looked lovely - canoeing down the river in the Dordogne, hotels with pools en route, mentioned it to DD on the way home from school who - the brat - said it sounded boring. DH v downcast.

I wanted to do a Sunsail or Nelsons sailing holiday but we don't know if DD likes sailing yet, also we have to do main hol in the summer next year and Greece/Turkey are too hot for us then.

So... summer next year, DD 11, somewhere with more reliable climate than UK (ideally) but not too hot, with a variety of interests... any recommendations please?

OK, I know your first reasponse may not be postive but how about Tenerife. You can avoid the lager louts and the rest of the island away from Playa de las Americas is very nice. We went last year, DH went to go paragliding and me and DD tagged along for a cheap holiday. There is no way I'd have chosen to go otherwise but I loved it.

There's the big national park in the centre of the island which is very interesting with the volcano and the lunar landscape. Think its a World Heritage site.

Whale watching boat trips.

Good hiking.

World class zoo at Loro Parque with Killer Wales from Sea World.

Amazing water park.

Day tip over to Gozo island.

Some really lovely beaches.

moopymoo Thu 09-Jul-09 18:46:39

Gulf Coast of Florida is fab - the state has another side completely that is beautiful and full of fun stuf that doesnt involve going to a theme park <<shudder>> The Kennedy Space Centre is a great day out. The Everglades full of amazing wildlife.
What kind of stuff is she into? My 11yr old ds loves Cornwall,Florida, Balearic Islands - we have rented a villa in a quiet part of Ibiza and are going snorkelling.

GrapefruitMoon Thu 09-Jul-09 18:47:24

I take it she is an only child? Would it be feasible to take a friend along for her to have some company her own age? I would say she is getting to the age where hanging out at the beach with mum & dad all day is not fun/cool regardless of where you go. If she likes sightseeing then a city break might be good. Or go somewhere like a Keycamp site in France where she can roam safely on her bike/go swimming, lots of activities on site and hopefully she can meet up with other kids her age.

growingup Thu 09-Jul-09 18:50:00

Message withdrawn

GrimmaTheNome Thu 09-Jul-09 18:50:21

All suggestions gratefully considered! That does sound like it has possibilities - I would like to do some sort of watersports, will have to look and see if anything apt...

GrimmaTheNome Thu 09-Jul-09 18:59:01

Oh, I've ordered the brochure for the canoeing anywaygrin.

Moopy, we love cornwall but got a bit rained off the last 2 years! (North Wales this summer for a change). We did think about the Everglades, is it combinable with Kennedy do you think (I've forgotten the scale of Florida). We used to live in US driving not a problem except DH hates doing it on hol!grin

GrimmaTheNome Thu 09-Jul-09 21:00:37

any more ideas from the later shift please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now