Talk

Advanced search

Where shall we go for Easter 2010? Here are our criteria ...

(23 Posts)
franch Thu 09-Jul-09 11:54:19

Hot

Not too epic a flight

Relaxing but with stuff to do nearby

Not a resort

Not a hotel - probably house with a pool - either self-catering or with the option of someone to come in and do meals

Not interested in kids clubs etc

DDs will be 6y and 4.5y

We started to consider Dubai but I don't think they do the kind of accommodation we want. Jamaica in autumn last year provided all the above but we're now a bit stumped.

franch Thu 09-Jul-09 15:39:09

bump

Kenya. We can meet all your needs. smile

If you go to either south of Mombasa - Diani or north of Mombasa - Watamu/Malindi. You will have a lovely time, you can even fit in a mini safari to Tsavo or Shimba Hills.

franch Thu 09-Jul-09 16:55:16

Ooh I'd love to master. Was saving Africa for later, but you've got us thinking ...

franch Fri 10-Jul-09 10:39:00

Any other ideas?

franch Fri 10-Jul-09 13:25:37

bump

mumoverseas Fri 10-Jul-09 13:28:06

Florida? Either Orlando with all the attractions where you can get a nice villa with a pool for around £400 per week or the gulf coast, ie Naples/Marco Island where it is more relaxed although villa prices are a little more expensive

franch Fri 10-Jul-09 13:30:33

Thanks mumoverseas. Will look into those areas - don't know anything about them (other than Orlando of course).

franch Fri 10-Jul-09 20:03:03

Any more??

franch Fri 10-Jul-09 21:32:33

franch Fri 10-Jul-09 21:56:12

TM&M - isn't Easter rainy season in Kenya??

Actually Franch after I posted I thought, uhhhmmm it might be a bit rainy grin The advantage is, is that it brings the temperature down. wink

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 11-Jul-09 16:22:12

TM&M I take it you live in Kenya, we are going in February to Sands Island with my sister, is it feasable to take DD who will be 4 off from there to do a safari, DH would stay behind with DS.

thirtysomething Sat 11-Jul-09 16:49:29

South Africa? Cape Town and Garden route fab with kids

franch Sat 11-Jul-09 20:01:32

I see TM&M

30something - we've been starting to think along those lines - I don't know about the Garden Route but will investigate - thanks

thirtysomething Sun 12-Jul-09 22:37:12

Great thing about S Africa is that flights both ways tend to be overnight so if your DC are ok at sleeping on planes it's much easier than flying to the US. Plus there's only 2 hrs time difference so no jet lag. So much to see and do near the Cape and the beaches are unbelievable. We've been to lots of fab beaches but nothing will ever compare to S. Africa for us! Cannot recommend it highly enough, though you will also see poverty in shanty towns like you have probably never seen before.....Did my kids good in a way though as they were only 6 and 8 at the time but still remember those shanty towns and have learnt to appreciate all their things and food etc a lot more....

franch Mon 13-Jul-09 20:32:52

I think we're going to go for it 30sthg!

thirtysomething Mon 13-Jul-09 21:40:16

Ooh am very jealous!! make sure you go to Boulders Beach for the penguins - kids will adore that!

franch Mon 13-Jul-09 21:56:15

Sounds fabulous!

Ooooo yes SA is a great option and a sort of gentle introduction to Africa. The Garden Route is lovely. Also heading up to the winelands of Stellenbosch is another great idea. The black/white disparity is quite unsettling however, but for us coming from Sub Saharan Kenya it is probably more noticeable.

Five, I am in Kenya but am a bit blush at not knowing where Sands Island is??? Is it near Lamu? <goes off to Google>

I had a quick google, is it Sands resort on Chale Island? If so then I know that area well. You can go with dd on a day trip to Shimba Hills, which is about an hour and half from Diani by road, it is a small pretty game park in the hills overlooking the coast, which is an elephant sanctuary. So a good choice if you like ellies. There is another option of a 3 hour drive to Tsavo National Park but it's a long and very hot day for a 4 year old, especially in February. Another alternative is to visit the Bamburi Cement conservation park in Mombasa where you can walk amongst giraffes and see other animals close up. Our small dc always like this one. It is in a former cement mine which has been rehabilitated and has been well done. smile

franch Tue 14-Jul-09 19:48:51

We're a mixed-race family, TM&M - will we feel uncomfortable in SA?

Ahhh Franch, that's an interesting question. You certainly wouldn't feel uncomfortable here, but in SA perhaps at times. Personally I would perhaps avoid the more traditional afrikaans areas and stick to the more cosmopolitan areas and you should be ok. You could try posting a question in living overseas topic and see what the feeling is, as I am no expert and it has been ages since I was last there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now