Talk

Advanced search

Just paid for disneyland - feel I've been mugged - help me feel better!

(35 Posts)
sanae Thu 09-Jul-09 11:29:10

- Just paid £2000 for us (DH,me and 3DCs- 11,10,8Y), also our neice who is a student, to go for short beak disneyland Paris (2 and half days, 2 nights), 2 star hotel with half board (self catering wasn't cheaper). Thing is, I wasn't planning to spend this amount on a holiday, have paid to go to Butlins later in year which was supposed to be Disneyland alternative! Feels as though I've had my arm twisted - neice is arriving from USA where she lives, to stay in Paris and this is our only chance to see her. Disneyland her idea(!!!), initially I was dead against but gradually came round to the idea as our kids have never been and we haven't really splashed out on holidays before. My kids LOVE their aunt, she is 18, lovely with them, and has the glamour of being American, so of course they will love it. We have the money but it was supposed to be for a new boiler - we froze last winter with an inefficient wood burner. Sorry if I sound spoilt, complaining about going to Disneyland, but it seems such a large amount of money for a very short time, and instead of feeling excited i am feeling flat. Someone please tell me we will have a very special time, that it is worth the money, and that I am being stupid!

LadyMuck Thu 09-Jul-09 11:32:03

You've been mugged. 4 of us are going 4 star for the same period for under £800 including Eurostar though not food.

Fimbo Thu 09-Jul-09 11:32:55

Is that including the passes?

I hate to say it, costs only get worse when you get there. Food which at best is only fast food cost £££££ and then there are all the shops (tbh I found the Disneystore cheaper back home).

The dc and your niece will have a ball though.

LadyMuck Thu 09-Jul-09 11:33:04

Sorry, I meant the same length break, no idea when you're going. We're going this weekend.

growingup Thu 09-Jul-09 11:33:15

Message withdrawn

Fimbo Thu 09-Jul-09 11:33:56

Ooh just re-read your post and agree with Ladymuck for the amount of days you are staying you have been mugged.

sanae Thu 09-Jul-09 11:39:41

LadyMuck, we are going next week 22-24th - we rang on Monday and were quoted same price for 4 star accomodation so thought we would be able to get the price down substantially. We couldn't book then as we were unable to contact our neice to confirm. Now none of those places left, nothing cheaper. Includes passes, breakfast and evening meal, and Eurostar.

mumoverseas Thu 09-Jul-09 11:41:07

we are going to DLP next week. DH and I and 4 DCs aged 16, 13, 2.8 & 5 months (think the youngest 2 are free) We are staying at Davy Crockett ranch, B & B and are self driving. I paid £1,100 and that is for 3 nights 4 days and includes passes for 4 nights.
We are then going to Centreparcs for 1 week and that was £1,500.

Thinking about it, it would have been cheaper to go to Florida where we normally go [hmm

sanae Thu 09-Jul-09 11:41:57

I suppose we went in travel agents thinking we would be paying less than this and then had to make decision on the spot(because places go so quickly last minute). Now feeling it was the wrong one! Have checked on-line and it isn't significantly cheaper booking direct on-line price.

RubyBlueberry Thu 09-Jul-09 11:43:28

Ridiculously high price, did you not shop around? I am a TA and there are hundreds (I mean hundreds) of deals out there, Thomas Cook Signature, Cresta and Leger had some v good deals recently.

midnightexpress Thu 09-Jul-09 11:45:36

Fucking Nora (excuse the language but stone me) - 2 grand for 2 NIGHTS? That's ONE THOUSAND POUNDS a night?

You've been fleeced. Sorry. I don't expect that makes you feel better, does it?

I'm sure the children will have a hoot. They'd better.

lal123 Thu 09-Jul-09 11:48:08

If you think you've been mugged now - wait til you get there! We had to sort of switch off from real money and just pretend it was Mickey Mouse money we were spending.

TheOddOne Thu 09-Jul-09 11:52:59

There are 10 friends i know going to Disneyland FLORIDA for TWO WEEKS for £16,000 - villa, tickets, flights and three cars included.

You was robbed!

But i'm sure you'll have an excellent time and nice to catch up with Neice.

oneplusone Thu 09-Jul-09 11:56:51

I've been looking into going to disneyland florida for christmas this year and a week was working out to £3000 for 2 adults and 2 children. You are being fleeced i am sorry to say.

LadyMuck Thu 09-Jul-09 11:57:17

OK on Eurostar website you can get the 09:01 indirect change (very easy change at Lille and gets in 20 minutes later than direct train) and the direct train back for £485 for 5 of you. I suspect that driving would be cheaper still. 6 of you can stay at the Davy Crockett Ranch including tickets and breakfast for £749.

Only downside is that I think that you need a car from the ranch. Adagio City Apartments (a Disney partner hotel) would be £1,058 for the 6 of you. I haven't bothered searching the others, but I still think that you've been mugged. Sorry.

posiedullardparker Thu 09-Jul-09 11:59:06

Do you have a cooling off period so that you can shop around for a cheaper deal. How old is neice?

ChopsTheDuck Thu 09-Jul-09 12:03:18

£2k shock for 2 days! I'm sure I only paid about £4k in total when we went to Florida for TWO WEEKS for the 6 of us!

You have been fleeced, can you def not cancel it? Did it really have to be a disney hotel? There are hotels around paris that are far, far cheaper. Or a eurocamps/keycamps site. Prebook a ferry, and drive there, and self cater. I'm sure you could do it for under half that.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 09-Jul-09 12:05:01

I do wonder as well why your neice wants to go to disneyland too, considering the two disneys in America are far better, and it could be a bit of a let down.

Hulababy Thu 09-Jul-09 12:05:41

Ouch! That is a lot.

I bet Disneyworld Florida wouldn't have been much different for a week!

growingup Thu 09-Jul-09 12:14:03

Message withdrawn

Bramshott Thu 09-Jul-09 12:15:37

Not sure we are doing a very good job at making you feel better!!! grin

Your DCs will have a wonderful, magical time, and in only a few years months wink you will have forgotten about the cost and only remember the happy memories smile!

Soups Thu 09-Jul-09 14:18:53

Hope you have fun despite the cost I suppose you're paying for 3 adults and none of the children qualify for the stay and play free.

It's costing us £450 for a 2 night, 3 day entrance half board in August, not including tranport. That's for 2 adults, 8 and 4 year old. It wouldn't have been any cheaper paying for a campsite and getting the tickets seperatley. Believe me I shopped around like crazy! I can see how it adds up quickly, especially when you're paying half board for 6, Eurostar for 5 etc

sanae Thu 09-Jul-09 14:54:58

Thanks Bramshot and Soups - at least you tried - agree otherwise whole thread made me feel even worse!

growingup Thu 09-Jul-09 16:13:12

Message withdrawn

MissSunny Thu 09-Jul-09 22:07:30

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now