Talk

Advanced search

Calgary, what's there to do?

(19 Posts)
Confuzzeled Wed 08-Jul-09 07:56:36

My dh is visiting his brother in Calgary. His brother is working and he's bored out his mind, he says there's nothing to do there.

Anyone got any ideas?

muddleduck Wed 08-Jul-09 09:43:32

your DH is right!

all I can remember doing is going to the cinema and eating big burgers!

I think you can go to the olympic park and have a go on the bobsleigh ...

ibbydibby Wed 08-Jul-09 10:53:30

Have only ever spent one (boring) day in Calgary, at the end of a brilliant 3 week holiday in British COlumbia, touring around Vancouver, then Jasper, Banff etc. Car was returned to the Airport in the morning, and our flight was in the early evening. Spent the day at the Zoo. Can't remember much about it, but Colchester Zoo beats it hands down!

How long is DH staying for? Could he book himself on to a day trip further west, where it's a bit more interesting? Not sure how expensive this would be though, nor just how far away JAsper and Banff are from here. (It's a long time since we were there).

I sympathise!

muddleduck Wed 08-Jul-09 11:31:02

I agree about trips to Jasper and Banff. It is a long trip and the first bit is pretty dull but well worth it when you get there.

Confuzzeled Wed 08-Jul-09 12:02:34

Thanks, I've sent him the link to this page so he can see what you've said. He was almost tempted to take a flight home he found for £30

muddleduck Wed 08-Jul-09 12:21:36

If he has time he could probably fly to vancouver pretty cheaply.

chisigirl Wed 08-Jul-09 12:48:59

All the fun to be had near Calgary is OUTSIDE Calgary. It is not an attractive city. You have to head to the Rockies. Luckily, they are very close.

hockeypuck Thu 09-Jul-09 18:39:14

Definitely hire a car and get to those Rockies - only an hour or so out of town and AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

We planned 2 days in Calgary before touring the rockies by car but left early after one day. Literally NOTHING to do. - Get thee to those beautiful mountains Mr Confuzzeled!!!

GrapefruitMoon Thu 09-Jul-09 18:41:14

There's not a huge amount to do/see in Vancouver either - definitely he needs to hit the countryside.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 09-Jul-09 18:41:40

Message withdrawn

hockeypuck Thu 09-Jul-09 20:10:09

Grapefruit - there is tons tons tons to do in Vancouver.
Stanley Park
Aquarium
The mountain whose name I can't remember
boat trip or seaplane to Vancouver Island
Whale Watching
Wandering around the decent areas in town
Getting into the area near the mountains with the famous rope bridge (I'm great on details like names me!!!)

I could find something new to do in Vancouver every day for at least a month!
I wish I could move there!

GrapefruitMoon Fri 10-Jul-09 12:50:28

But if I go on holiday to a different city (without kids) and I end up going to the park or zoo or aquarium (which I did in Vancouver) yes they may be nice parks, aquariums, etc but I can go to the park or aquarium at home. Like many modern cities I found there wasn't a lot to see in the city itself in terms of interesting buildings, museums, historic areas. Felt the same about Sydney - great cities to live in but not to visit as a tourist.

weegiemum Fri 10-Jul-09 12:54:14

Grouse Mountain!

Also the suspension bridge place that I can't remember the name of.

Going up to Horeshoe Bay and going to Bowen Island or somesuch!

And top tip in Vancouver - with or without kids - Brunch at Sophie's Cosmic Cafe in Kitsilano.

I love Vancouver (b* inconsiderate BIL and SIL moved back to ...drum roll... Belfast when we were enjoying holidaying with them so much)

Sadly, I know nothing about Calgary.

madwomanintheattic Fri 10-Jul-09 13:56:26

airporter to banff from the airport - goes all day. grin

or hire a car and drive it, and go to johnston's canyon, sulphur mountain, any of the hot springs, get stuck in a bear jam (a few about at this time of year), go up to sunshine meadows, or just hang out. hire a bike in canmore and do some of the trails...

calgary itself? ummm. calgary tower and pretend to be superman? the zoo is ok with kids... hang around for a few weeks and hit the stampede? calgary must be revving up for the party right now - aren't there like a million cowboys gathering? the calm before the storm, eh?

how long is he staying for? icefields parkway to jasper would be ok for a few days, but if you are on your own it's be you and a gazillion tourists...

he's best off getting his hiking boots on. grin

madwomanintheattic Fri 10-Jul-09 13:57:27

it only takes an hour btw. the airporter desk is in the main concourse.

YanknCock Fri 10-Jul-09 14:00:35

The Calgary Stampede is on until Sunday! My family went twice when I was a kid, remember it being a good day out.

cs.calgarystampede.com/

madwomanintheattic Fri 10-Jul-09 14:06:34

it's on now? i thought it was next week, hence my last post.

jeez, confuzzled, if your dh can't find anything to do in calgary during the stampede then i'm totally at a loss - maybe he'd better not try rio during carneval?!

is he normally allowed out on his own lol?

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 10-Jul-09 15:23:55

Message withdrawn

madwomanintheattic Fri 10-Jul-09 15:51:45

...but what man can refuse cowgirls in itty bitty denim and a few well placed sequins?

i bet he's just telling confuzzled he's bored witless, and spending all day ogling fit wimmin with boots and cleavage amidst the dust, admiring their roping skills.... wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now