Talk

Advanced search

EXCITEMENT WE'RE having a holiday dd1 goes to Madrid uni in September suggestions needed for

(9 Posts)
lemonice Tue 17-May-05 11:15:35

our trip there in August to find her somewhere to stay as she doesn't want to go down the living with a family route again.

I'm thrilled that she has asked me to go with her for a few days to see if we can find her a place to live for the year but wondered whether any one has any suggestions for cheap place for us to stay in the centre of Madrid in August while we look (neither of us has any money!!)and recommendations for a good place for her to look for her accommodation. The uni scheme doesn't seem to offer any help.

And what should we do while we're there?

lemonice Tue 17-May-05 11:48:49

anybody know Madrid?

Thanks

Chandra Tue 17-May-05 11:57:07

If she is attending uni there should be some access to a Colegio Mayor (accommodation quarters if universities), but I recommend her to try to find more info about them long before August when most offices in universities are clossed. I went there for a MA placement years ago and I found it a bit difficult, at the end I shared a flat with the friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of one of my colleagues (were never able to trace the full chain of connections ).

I will ask DH if he knows of a nice bed and breakfast.

soapbox Tue 17-May-05 12:11:25

lemonjuice - can't help with the uni accomodation, but in terms of finding somewhere to stay on your recce visit, have you thought about www.holiday-rentals.com??

They often have very reasonable priced accomodation and you get the saving from cooking breakfast and other snacks etc in the apartment rather than having to fork out hotel prices for them.

lemonice Tue 17-May-05 12:26:17

I think a rental might be quite good and have had a look but I'm not sure about the most convenient location have found some on www.spain.bookassist.com and will look at Soapbox one too.

Thanks Chandra I guess it's the same as looking in London or any big city, I'm rather surprised that the uni doesn't send anything out but i think they push towards family which she has done twice once as au pair in Paris and also on gap in Argentina and although they were lovely she wants a bit more independnce this time. But I don't want her to end up isolated.

Fio2 Tue 17-May-05 12:28:35

just wanted to say, how exciting and wonderful you must be very proud x

Chandra Tue 17-May-05 14:14:50

I'm not surprised at all TBH, they normally just send the info if you specifically request it as most students tend to be from the same city therefore don't need to move to university accomodation. If your DD is doing a PG degree she can ask the tutor of the studies to give her the contact e-mail of other students currently at the university, from them she can get a better picture of what's available, when is better to start looking and what to avoid.

But avoid August, is the favourite month of the year for people to emigrate out of the cities and you will find everything very slow because of the holidays (and considering the temps of Madrid in summer I really don't blame them! )

lemonice Tue 17-May-05 16:13:16

Spoke to dd1 and we think now we might go in June (to avoid heat and everything being closed)

It is her year abroad from 4 year degree here.

Yes I am very proud of her (but also of dd2 who despite her probs is being a lovely mum to dgs) The dds are chalk and cheese despite only being a year apart..

Fio2 Tue 17-May-05 16:42:51

well lemonice i would be proud of dd2 too how lovely you have such wonderful daughters you love

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now