Talk

Advanced search

what holiday might actually be a real holiday with kids?

(14 Posts)
isittooearlyforgin Sat 04-Jul-09 19:38:26

am seriously thinking about not going on holiday this year although would be disappointed not to. We have always gone with friends which has been great as has felt like a real break - we babysit for each other so get a chance to go out in the evenings and the evenings we stay in have been very sociable. Also kids played together so that took a load off too.
This year for financial reasons friends can not make it. Was just about to book our usual 2 week french cottage when it occured to me that it would probably be a lot like home but hotter and probably no break at all and certainly no nice evenings out.
Has anyone got any tips/advice/recommendations of holidays they've really enjoyed. It needs to be not hugely expensive and not too commercial (Dh allergic to very commercial holiday resorts for some reason though i'm of the opinion whatever makes the kids happy makes me happy!!)

samplesale Sun 05-Jul-09 18:59:43

How old are your kids?
What is your idea of "not hugely expensive"?

MrsBadger Sun 05-Jul-09 19:03:14

take them to the grandparents for a week (luckily ours are in the country)

someone else does at least some of the cooking and we get at least one night off

mumoverseas Mon 06-Jul-09 18:53:26

Mark Warner holidays have kids clubs and nannies but I imagine they are quite expensive. Worth a look though

TheMysticMasseuse Mon 06-Jul-09 19:01:06

we went to Austria in May, stayed in a farm near Graz, it was a wonderful place, the cottage we rented was really well set-up and super comfy, they had a lovely wooden playground on the door steps, and cows, pigs, rabbits, dogs, cats etc. my dds (3 and 1) and their cousin (4) got out of the door in the morning and came back in at 8 dirty, exhausted and blissfully happy. we just lay on the grass reading books etc, nothing fancy but hugely relaxing and cheap (60 euros per night).

they don't speak english though- but if that doesnt put you off here's the link:

www.biobauernhof-sommer.com

fruitful Mon 06-Jul-09 19:07:26

Last year we rented a cottage at the seaside. The back door opened onto a playground, which you could see from the kitchen window. So dd (6 at the time) and ds1 (3.5) played out there while we sat in the kitchen and ds2 had long naps. That was nice.

It was in the town centre so we could get takeaways easily in the evening after the kids were in bed.

Mostly I have just lowered my expectations. I don't expect evenings out or child-free time in the day. I book cottages with dishwashers and microwaves - it has to be at least as comfortable as my house. I get Tesco to deliver all the shopping to the cottage. And the cottage needs a garden with good playthings - this years has swings and a sandpit. Something so the kids can play while we half-relax, anyway.

AnyFucker Mon 06-Jul-09 19:23:58

leave 'em with the grandparents while you go to Ibiza to paaaaartyyyy

maybe not grin

TheMysticMasseuse Mon 06-Jul-09 20:09:20

Greece is also a good option if your kids are a bit older, islands are super cheap and really pleasant, you can get a charter flight + ferry to off the beaten track destinations, rent an apartment, and then just get used to the mediterranean timetable- beach in the morning, siesta at home, beach again, and in the evening eat out with the kids. def on my list for when mine are slightly older

Leslaki Mon 06-Jul-09 21:39:43

here fab for kids - asa lone parent I can't wait to go back!! BBQs every night and total relaxation!!

isittooearlyforgin Tue 07-Jul-09 07:19:47

thanks for all the advice - particularly loving Anyfucker's tips!! Would love to do holiday with grandparents on hand to help but think they prefer their holidays relaxing.
My kids are 2.5 and just 5. Think Fruitful is right about lowering expectations grin

2anddone Tue 07-Jul-09 11:34:14

Have you thought about Butlins my ds loved it aged 3 there is loads to do and they have a great time so you feel like you are getting a break?

ChopsTheDuck Tue 07-Jul-09 11:43:53

we like Spain because the culture is very child friendly. It is normal there to have your children out with you til very late at night, and they are welcome in restaurants, etc.
It doesn't have to be touristy neither, we rent a villa somewhere, and have spent many evenings sitting and relaxing in a little spanish town square at a bar while the children run around with the locals.

We usually try to get a place with a bbq, or with space to buy a cheap portable oen to throw away so that a few evenigns we can get the kids in bed a bit earlier and have a bbq for jsut the two of us with wine and music.

I really don't think babysitters are essential for a holiday. The one time we did take extended family on holiday with us, they were sick of the kids 4 hours into the flight and didn't babysit once!

isittooearlyforgin Tue 07-Jul-09 17:27:33

Chopstheduck - sounds idyllic!!

Alos must look into Butlins (maybe for long weekend) - good idea!

motheroftwoboys Fri 10-Jul-09 21:08:18

Anything with brilliant kids clubs.. Mark Warner or cruises and you often get brilliant late deals on cruises. With children that young you could share a cabin. Look at P and O and Royal Caribbean. I know lots of people love villas and cottages but it has never seemed like a holiday to me - just doing housework in a different place. wink I want to be looked after for just one or two weeks in the year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now