Talk

Advanced search

Have you been to Sa Coma, Majorca or Son Bou, Menorca? Please come and tell me what theyre like

(18 Posts)
mosschops30 Tue 30-Jun-09 16:12:19

We have narrowed down next years holiday to these two places.
They both sound nice in the brochure (dont they always), am goning to have a look at the resort on holidays uncovered too but just wondered if any mnetters had been and your opinion on them

TIA smile

Fimbo Tue 30-Jun-09 16:15:06

Mosschops were you the one that didn't like The Algarve? Praia de Oura or whatever it was called with "The Strip"????

Son Bou is a smaller version of it. We didn't like it at all.

If you want Menorca then imvho the best resort is Cala Galdana.

lilolilmanchester Tue 30-Jun-09 16:21:26

Have been to both places. However, we just use the resorts as a base and tend to have lots of day trips out. Were very happy with both (tho 5 years since Son Bou and 11 years since Sa Coma so they could well have changed).
Son Bou is not a pretty place but we were in great accommodation and the restaurants were excellent - tho housed more in what looked like shopping centres than overlooking marinas or harbour fronts which would be my ideal. Neither ticked all our boxes on paper, but we had great holidays in both places.

IkeaSnake Tue 30-Jun-09 16:25:06

son bou is ok - nice beach
didnt like any or menorca really

mosschops30 Tue 30-Jun-09 16:26:11

Yes Fimbo, hated algarve. Have been to Cala Galdana and Cala n Bosch in menorca, loved both, but we are going to try somewhere different this year (and its the accommodation we chose, very little self catering in Cala Galdana).
Trouble with the Son Bou description in the brochure is that it mentions 'tourist themed restaurants and fast food' hmm which makes me shudder.
We like somewhere to walk out at night, with a good selection of restaurants, possibly marina that type of thing

IkeaSnake Tue 30-Jun-09 16:27:20

not there then

lilolilmanchester Tue 30-Jun-09 16:30:17

there is (was!) a good selection of restaurants in Son Bou and you can avoid the tourist themed/fast food type. We found some great places. But not overlooking a marina. Sa Coma also had some great restaurants and nicer to walk around BUT my info is 11 years out of date so you'd need to ask someone who has been more recently. Lovely beach at Sa Coma with trees providing shade which was ideal as we had LOs at that time.

lilolilmanchester Tue 30-Jun-09 16:32:32

where were you in the Algarve? We went to Lagos and loved it. We also liked Nerja in Spain the first time, liked it less the second after we'd been to the Algarve. Or Corsica?

lilolilmanchester Tue 30-Jun-09 16:32:58

oops sorry, just realised you've already narrowed it down to 2 so not really helping!

mosschops30 Tue 30-Jun-09 16:34:51

ikea, did you mean not son bou?

thanks lilo, yes already narrowed to these two places and cala dor in majorca which weve been to before so already know what that like

IkeaSnake Tue 30-Jun-09 16:35:34

yes no there
go somewhere in Turkey
much nicer food

mosschops30 Tue 30-Jun-09 16:38:50

dear god no, turkey with a 10month old in august would be hell!!!!
Am sticking with choices wink

LouMacca Tue 30-Jun-09 16:50:38

Absolutely loved Sa Coma, the beach is gorgeous. We stayed there 4 years ago and I couldn't fault it. Lots of lovely restaurants and family things to do. We then stayed at Cala Bona last year and caught the little bus to visit Sa Coma for the day and it was still as lovely. It is also in easy reach of both Cala Bona and Cala Millor for a day trip.

Didn't enjoy Son Bou as much but then we were quite a distance from the beach. You are pretty much trapped in Son Bou as it is not really near to anywhere else if you fancied a change for the day. It also felt really small and crowded in comparison to Sa Coma/Cala Bona.

mosschops30 Tue 30-Jun-09 16:54:10

Thanks Lou, the reports for Sa Coma actually say the same. Its not chavvy and nasty is it? We hate things like 'Paddys Oirish Bar' and 'Kings Head - english breakfast served all day' grin
We normally spend all day in apartment complex then have a wander at night

LouMacca Tue 30-Jun-09 17:02:26

No, not chavvy and nasty lol! I think you would be hard pushed to find any touristy resort in Majorca that doesnt have the english breakfast served all day now!

I know you say you have narrowed it down to two but reading your comments you would absolutely love Puerto Pollensa, similar to Sa Coma but with a bit more class wink

mosschops30 Tue 30-Jun-09 17:07:23

Did look at PP, but accommodation was about 1k more expensive so that was ruled out.
We liked Cala Dor which had a burger king [shudder] but was big enough to not notice and had some great restaurants and shops and a nice marina to walk round

LouMacca Tue 30-Jun-09 17:16:54

Oh dear, I seem to recall that both Sa Coma and Son Bou have a Burger King, but like Cala Dor they don't scream out at you.

Sa Coma has a lovley long prom to walk down at night and a little donkey sanctuary that the children would love. The little train between Sa Coma and Cala Bona is great fun for the children too.

mosschops30 Tue 30-Jun-09 17:37:07

Lou that sounds great smile, I dont mind BK and Macie D's as long as its the exception and not the norm IYKWIM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now