Talk

Advanced search

Moonfleet Manor- don't scare me too much!

(11 Posts)
wook Mon 29-Jun-09 22:34:38

Have booked two nights at Moonfleet Manor for August as stop off on way down to Cornwall- have ds (4)
Now very anxious as have read horrible reviews of it on Trip Advisor- saying it is dirty, mouldy and overrun with dogs etc. Have been to Fowey before and to Ickworth (in the same chain) and like both loads- and was reassured to see that they had similarly mixed reviews. How does Moonfleet Manor compare? Is it really nowhere near a beach? Falling apart? Covered in dog slobber???
I am 6 months pregnant and get really quite stroppy about things like dirty pillowcases at the best of times. Any chance of some reassurance??

MatNanPlus Mon 29-Jun-09 23:43:52

in fleet? i went with 2 gf for a pamper day last yr and it was lovely.

wook Tue 30-Jun-09 19:49:13

Thanks for replying but no, don't think that's the same place? Family hotel near Chesil Beach.

movingnow Thu 02-Jul-09 10:57:14

We stayed at Ickworth (Dower House) for 3 nights last July and Moonfleet for 2 nights in Jan this year. I admit to travelling with a (non slobery) dog so the canine side of life is a bonus for us grin. We actually prefered the feel of Moonfleet and found the staff much more helpful than Ickworth. The pool is in need of a refurb but is servicable, the indoor play barn is a great facility in bad weather, even if it is a bit worn round the edges.

movingnow Thu 02-Jul-09 11:00:29

Sorry, failed to answer the beach question. You need to look at a decent map but basically the hotel is on The Fleet, a huge lagoon behind Chesil Beach. The hotel faces the back of Chesil Baech IYSWIM but no direct access. The Fleet is fine for young children to paddle in etc

wook Thu 02-Jul-09 17:38:55

That's a relief movingnow thanks!

MorePudding Fri 03-Jul-09 20:36:47

We've been to Moonfleet twice and loved it. It's quite shabby chic but in a really nice homely and relaxed way, kind of colonial, full of character. Staff are fab, nothing's too much trouble and even my 2 boys who were in a clingy phase, were happy being left in the crèche. Kids tea great and they can tear around a huge sports hall after tea. Hotel has a dog but it just hung around reception mostly, no hint of doggy slobber around! Not sure about beach as both times went in the winter but Weymouth is really close with good beach. Hope you have a fab time, I'm envious

moondog Fri 03-Jul-09 20:37:51

If you are bothered by it why did you er..... book it? hmm

wook Fri 03-Jul-09 21:59:43

Only did the research after booking it. Oops!
In mitigation, it was a good cheap deal in normally expensive hotel, and we like the others in the chain so thought it would be OK.
Thanks for the reassurances!

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 03-Jul-09 22:02:30

I won a MN competition and we had a 2 night break there earlier this year!

It's lovely. Very shabby chic, but makes it really interesting. 2 dogs, but they were very friendly and calm and no slobber or dog smell anywhere.

Staff are lovely and really helpful.

Right on the coast, so it's a beautiful setting.

Only criticism is that the food (especially dinner) is really expensive.

mulranno Tue 07-Jul-09 14:03:53

I went last year -- and agree with everyone else that it is "shabby" ... but do not agree with the chic bit at all. I was frankly shocked at the sate of the place the grounds and pool were dilapidated, unkempt and dangerous...one persons "shabby chic" another persons "shabby"...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now