Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find a holiday - urgent!

(14 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 20:38:29

ok, long and short of it, dd has developed a knee problem which has buggered up our idea of 2 weeks hiking in the wilds of Scotland. GP says that she shouldn't do things that hurt it and that she should try and take things easy over the summer. Where we were going, hiking is pretty much the only thing to do.

I'm the sort of person who always knows what they are doing for their holiday a year in advance so I'm completely thrown.

dd is quite capable of pottering about, walking short distances (though it hurts atm) and I expect swimming will be ok as she can't actually swim!

Budget was around £350 accommodation(that did include 2 nights in hotel), plus petrol £150-£200 (4 days of driving and then pottering round), plus maybe another £200 on excursions (were going to go whale watching) plus food (blimey it adds up when you think about it!!). So maybe £700 for 3 of us excluding food.

We don't really like crowded places. We aren't great at sitting in one place (though if it were with a good pool dd would love that!) dd loves history, we all love food Home or abroad fine.

Thanks for any suggestions

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 20:39:40

oh yes, it was going to be a camping holiday but it doesnt have to be.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 20:52:45

I have always fancied Sicily but that would be hiking up volcanoes and stuff.

Am really stuck.

Perhaps a really fab campsite in France with a brilliant water complex where she could play in the water all day?

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 21:25:19

ok, camping in Normandy?

bellavita Mon 29-Jun-09 21:30:33

Sorry, I don't know anything about camping holidays blush, but does

this site have anything?

bellavita Mon 29-Jun-09 21:32:14

The campsite thing at Vendee has waterslides...

Dysgu Mon 29-Jun-09 22:07:34

Look at the Eurocamp sites in Holland. Duinrell is right on a theme park that is included in cost of the holiday - mobile home or tents available. Huge water complex also included. Several restaurants on the site - freshly cooked food even in the fast food one!

Eindhoven one also great. On site is a safari park and HUGE water complex. Again all included in the cost of the holiday - which is not very much really. Easy driving to both - either from Calais (the way we go) or you could go from Harwich.

Not sure about costs in the summer but really worth checking. Lots of places to visit, rent bikes (Tandem to share with DD?), watersports, horse riding, theme park rides etc.

Sites are huge but very spaced out so you don't feel crowded.

Dysgu Mon 29-Jun-09 22:09:56

Just checked your profile - see you are probably not far from us. So I would suggest you go Dover-Calais (Crossing is included in the price!) and then either drive up in one go or else stop in Bruges on the way. Novotel in Bruges is great and not too expensive.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 22:11:03

thank you, thats kind of you
We think we've found a nice place in Normandy, close to beaches with a pool. Should have enough round there to interest us all without being too strenuous.
Am about hiking holiday but even more about dds knee.

If we could find a nice villa with a pool at a really good price, that would be good too. Don't know anything about booking villas though.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 29-Jun-09 22:42:56

24th July-6th August (ish) (dd breaks up on 22nd)

Milliways Tue 30-Jun-09 16:27:27

Check out Matthews Holidays and their present Specials including a £15 Mumsnet voucher!

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 30-Jun-09 19:20:15

Those are pretty good prices - thank you

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 30-Jun-09 22:26:54

Right, we have booked 2 weeks camping in France and booked the ferry. Nice looking pool, sandy beaches close by, easy walking distance to village and good reviews.

Am actually secretly pleased. Other holiday was going to be very nice, lots of nature and hiking but it was all a bit worthy and tbh I quite fancy the idea of pottering between the pool and the tent with a bit of beach thrown in

Just have to hope the fact that theres flu in a local feeder school now doesnt bugger things up (always the optimist grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now