Talk

Advanced search

Query re what combo of bikes to hire on holiday

(4 Posts)
Waswondering Mon 29-Jun-09 19:34:22

I haven't ridden a bike for pretty much 20 years.

Dh used to be a pretty keen cyclist.

Ds is almost 6 (but not stabiliser free); dd just 3.

Holidaying soon in France in cycling country with plentiful hire shop with all combos on offer.

Do we go for manly bike with tagalong?

Do we then go for middle aged woman model with child seat on rear for me to jaunt along woodland paths, or do we get a trailer for said dd (dh reckons this would add stability to my bike and make it a better expereince!)

Thoughts?

tassisssss Mon 29-Jun-09 22:31:28

how keen is your ds?

if not very I'd go for trailer for them both (friends put their 5 and 2 yera old daughters in theirs) so you can be child-free. like you i've not cycled much for the past 15 or so years and i definatley wouldn't want a child on seat behind me, not sure how i'd feel about trailer either but i'll let you know (we picked up ours on Saturday!)

Waswondering Mon 29-Jun-09 22:33:05

Ds is pretty keen on tagalong as a couple of kids at school use them - Im just a bit nervous as it's been a long time!! But can see it would be a lot of fun!

madm00se Tue 30-Jun-09 08:53:55

Personally a tag along-the trailers aren't THAT stable, and TBH, esp if you're doing any road riding, they're more visible-a child has limited view. Friends had the trailer, and it tippled over with 2 in!! The seats that go at the back of the main rider, my DD tends to get V.BORED-starting to think about buying a tag along. It's personal preference, see what your kids think-they're going to have to be the ones sat in the trailer-remember even in the trailer-they'll still need a helmet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now