Talk

Advanced search

What is the best age to take children to Disney USA ?

(21 Posts)
SM13 Mon 29-Jun-09 17:16:22

Hi

We are thinking of taking the children to Disney (USA). Ages 4 and 7, my DH says they are too young and wait until they are older!

Would they be able to go on many rides at that age? Hoping they will remember it as well!

Usually fly to Europe for our holidays , so wondered about the flight length.

Any recommendations on flight , hotels etc will be appreciated.

Thank you

ReneRusso Mon 29-Jun-09 20:42:10

Age 6 and over is optimal I think, but age 4 and 7 will still have a good time. There will be a few rides unsuitable for the 4 year old, but plenty of other stuff. The flight is tolerable if you are prepared with lots of entertainment. Watch out for the time difference though, the DCs will probably be exhausted by about mid afternoon for quite a few days. Also watch out for the time of the year. We did Disney World (Florida) in August once and it was terribly hot and humid. Also did it in October 1/2 term once and it was fantastic, perfect weather and not too busy, no queues.

Hulababy Mon 29-Jun-09 20:48:10

We have taken DD to Disney, Florida at 2y4m and 4y2m and we re going again netx month when she will be 7y3m.

So far every time she has loved every second and got loads of fun and enjoyment out of her trip, and us too. DD still talks about her previous visits to Disney, plus the trips to Disneyland paris we have had.

Disney caters really well for every single age group IMO.

DD is now tall enough to go on every ride there is at the Disney parks, and there are only 4 or 5 she can't go on at Universal.

Never had a problem with the flights. DD has always been fine on each lng haul trip we have done.

We normally stay in a villa as we have been with family previously. This year it is just the 3 of us and it has worked out better value to stay in a Disney hotel, so we are staying at Animal Kingdom.

Also we have noticed that the price is much dearer this year than the previosu two times we have been. We did the research, etc before hand and it has actually worked out better value to book online with Thomson than oing it seperately. Virgin flights and seperate hotels was about £1500 dearer.

We have been in Jue and August. It is hot ubut definitely bearable.

brimfull Mon 29-Jun-09 20:49:28

9 and up

below 15/16 though

Hulababy Mon 29-Jun-09 20:49:41

Oh, to add.

DD has alays coped with doing full days in the park. At 2 she napped for the odd half hour. But on the whole she wanted to be in the park from morning til night every day!

And have never ound the queues bad at all even int he middle of August.

Already very excited - 4 weeks time and we will be there grin

brimfull Mon 29-Jun-09 20:50:25

ime they can't remember much before 7/8 so not worth bothering

Hulababy Mon 29-Jun-09 20:51:40

ggirl - have to disagree for DD. She can definitely remember and still talks of things she has done. She does have a very good memory for these times of things.

brimfull Mon 29-Jun-09 20:53:01

ask her again when she is 18

tis v. annoying when they can't even remember

you might as well do nothing until 9 imowink

Hulababy Mon 29-Jun-09 20:53:44

Besides I don't get this not worth bothering if they can't remember. Why not do stuff cos they just like it and love it at the time? Otherwise why do anything with a child under the age of 6 or 7?

However, I digress. IMO many children can and do remember things from their early childhood. DD does. My friend's 4y remembers going to Disney Paris 18m ago too.

Hulababy Mon 29-Jun-09 20:54:32

Seriously I don't care if she doesn't remember when she is 18y. At the time she loved it. It was worth it for that.

brimfull Mon 29-Jun-09 20:56:05

the 4 yr old will forget

wonderingwondering Mon 29-Jun-09 20:59:50

I took my 2 year old and four year old and it was great - they completely believed in all the characters. If you are only going once, then wait until they are older, as you'll be able to cope with the jetlag better, do more evening things, and generally be able to go on everything. But we found plenty to do during the day for young ones, and put our feet up in the evening.

If you take them when they are young, you just have to accept the usual restrictions with pre-schoolers - they aren't generally going to be up all night in a restaurant then on the go all day in a theme park. But we were happy with that, and we'll go again when they are 7 and 9ish.

cat64 Mon 29-Jun-09 21:00:45

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Mon 29-Jun-09 21:01:57

ggirl - maybe she will by the time she is 18y. So far DD is 7y and not forgotten the times she went at 2y and 4y. However -wh cares? They loved it at the time. And childhood should be full of memories

LittleHarrysMum Mon 29-Jun-09 21:06:57

Sorry ggirl I have to disagree. I went when I was 6 and my bro was 4 and we both remember that holiday to Disney more than the others we went on when we were older.

I also agree with cat64 though. If it is a one-off save it until they can do all the rides in all the parks as they will have the most fun and so will you and DH as you won't have to rotate who goes on what ride and when but all go together.

Christ DS is 3 next month and DD only 7 months and I'm already planning our trip!!!

kslatts Tue 30-Jun-09 13:39:50

We took our dd's when they were 6 and 4, they absolutely loved it, there is so much to do for all ages. I'm glad we went when we did because our dd's really believed the characters were real and I think it is more magical for younger childen.

We had such a good time that we are considering going back next year.

Milliways Wed 01-Jul-09 16:20:11

We went when DD was 9 & DS 4. DD was tall for her age so go to go on ALL the rides whilst still paying child prices. DS had a greeat time as he didn't want to go on the big scary rides and had loads he could do, BUT now he conmplains that he can't remember it & when are we going to take him so HE gets to do all the big rides

SM13 Wed 01-Jul-09 21:24:14

Bet your excited Hulababy! Thanks for all the information, I'm thinking next year 5 & 8.

Where do you stay? Have seen some nice villas about 10mins away.

I'm excited, big muppet fan , don't they have 3d muppets? Yey!

Any top tips? Someone said if you want to swim with dolphins to book in advance?

The other thing is Grandma & Grandad might come, is there much to do for them other than Disney?

Thanks all

giantkatestacks Wed 01-Jul-09 21:27:30

I reckon about 5-6 actually for Disney - they can go on lots of the rides and yet still enjoy the 'magic' of it.

Florida itself of course with all the rest of the attractions is for an older age group though.

SM13 Sun 05-Jul-09 16:48:44

Thanks

newpup Sun 05-Jul-09 17:14:00

My DDs were 2 (almost 3) and 5, the first time we took them.

DD2 who was 2 can not remember the trip but we have lovely memories of her meeting the characters. We had to stop for rests more often and we were back in our room fairly early each evening but we had a magical time as the Dds really took in the whole magic!!

Now they are older 10 and 7 we enjoy it in a different way. They love the rollercoasters and staying out late for dinner and shows!

I think Disney is pretty much fun at any age although nothing would persuade me to take a very young baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now