Talk

Advanced search

How old should baby be before going on a plane?

(11 Posts)
1dilemma Mon 29-Jun-09 11:12:34

I'm sure there is something about ideally not flying with a small baby but can't remember what it is (ears maybe?) and how old the baby should be before going on a plane (6 weeks/3 months?)
Please can someone tell me the answer?

MerlinsBeard Mon 29-Jun-09 11:36:55

am sure that new mothers are not allowed to fly for 2 weeks after a birth because of risk of clots. I think it's 2 weeks for baby too but not sure.

PortAndLemon Mon 29-Jun-09 11:40:28

I think I have seen it suggested that babies not fly longhaul before 6 weeks if it can be avoided (increased risk of SIDS IIRC) but that shorthaul should be fine. But I may be hallucnating that.

Bucharest Mon 29-Jun-09 11:41:26

I dont think there is an actual rule, more sort of guidelines like those mentioned above...
Dd first flew at 8 weeks.

chevre Mon 29-Jun-09 11:46:47

depends on teh carrier easyjet is 2 weeks
here

1dilemma Mon 29-Jun-09 13:48:21

Thanks
it would be long haul

I do however feel quite weak at the thought of trying to fight my way onto an easyjet flight 2 weeks after giving birth!!

tiredemma Mon 29-Jun-09 13:49:18

DS2 flew at 5 weeks

PestoMonster Mon 29-Jun-09 13:50:13

I would have thought you'd want to have both had your six week check-ups before considering flying.

Blu Mon 29-Jun-09 13:51:06

You'd be hard pressed to get a passport by two weeks, wouldn't you? We had to book an apointment to register DS's birth, and that was a few days...then waiting 2 weeks for the passport.

But we took DS on a plane at 9 weeks.

1dilemma Mon 29-Jun-09 14:07:31

Ah yes I'd forgotten about the passport!!
It took us about 10 weeks to get the appointment to register one of the dcs (apparently the 6 week thing isn't a rule which is lucky for our LA!) however got passport for other dc same day or maybe next day I can't remember (needed it urgently)

Clearly from all this my brain is mush!

lukeluke Mon 29-Jun-09 15:20:39

Ds first flew at 3 and a half weeks, long haul on Virgin Atlantic, and it was fine.

It took us three weeks to get his birth registered (applied a couple of days after he was born but it took a few days for the birth certificate to arrive in the post) and then passport (by appointment in London and it took about a week to get the appointment and then a week after the appointment for the passport to arrive).

The worst part was Heathrow. You have to get there hours and hours before the flight if it's long haul and the feeding rooms are minging (I didn't feel confident enough to BF in public at that stage).

Never had trouble with ears but they say you should feed (bottle/breast) or give baby a dummy during take-off and landing to encourage them to swallow which helps equalize the pressure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now