Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend bunk beds for (too) small children

(11 Posts)
strongblackcoffee Sun 28-Jun-09 17:58:04

Just wondered whether anyone has any recommendations for me. We're just about to put DS1 (3.5) and DS2 (20mths) into bunk beds and I'm trying to find the best ones to buy.

I love this one parisot but it's too long and VERY expensive. I also like thuka shorty but also v pricey.

If we get a toddler sized one will we be cursing in a few years time when we have to upsize?? Or if we get a bigger one will our tiny (but v robust) DSs fall out with dire consequences. My mother nearly fell over in horror when I told her what we were planning so now I'm wondering whether we're doing it too soon...

Aaaaargh, shouldn't be this difficult!! Any advice very welcome. Especially about bunk beds that you recommend....

Thanks smile

paranoidmother Mon 29-Jun-09 11:47:03

bump

I had heard from various sources that to go on the top bunk the child should be 5 or 6. Could be wrong depending on how you dc sleep.

thisisyesterday Mon 29-Jun-09 11:49:29

we have thuka shorty and LOVE it!
atm we are using it as a mid-sleeper for ds1 (he's been in it since he was about 2.5 i think)
we'll transform it into bunks when ds3 needs ds2's cot

slanting ladder is good, but also the fact that it's so flexible in terms of changing to 2 singles, transforming into full-size beds, mid-sleeper optuions etc etc

CMOTdibbler Mon 29-Jun-09 11:49:52

I really don't think that I could trust a 3.5 year old to safely negotiate the ladder steps in the night to go to the loo

strongblackcoffee Mon 29-Jun-09 15:25:51

Thanks - helpful comments. And thanks for the bump paranoidmother I have also heard that top bunks are recommended for 5 or 6 year olds, but I searched old threads and found lots of MNers using them for far younger kids. More concerned about my 1.5 year old than the 3 year old, but I did see a good tip about removing the bottom rung.

CMOTdibbler that's also something important to consider, but my DS has a bladder like a bloody ox, he has never ever yet got up for a wee in the night. Of course he will immediately start doing regular ones the moment we decide to buy the bunk...

thisisyesterday that's very interesting, I didn't know that the thuka shorty could change into full size. Also good to think that we could take it down to two singles if the bunk idea was a disaster. Hmmmmm... time to start counting pennies and see if I can do it, I think you might have just swung it!

Thanks all for the help grin

strongblackcoffee Mon 29-Jun-09 15:43:42

Actually, have a couple of extra quick questions...

thisisyesterday what age were your kids in this bed, and have you had to upsize it yet? I'm just wondering how long it'll be before we need to buy more bits to fit them in.

Also, I can't find a photo that shows the slanting ladder. Does anyone have one?

ConstantlyCooking Mon 29-Jun-09 17:35:22

we got one similar to this
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6611565/Trail/searchtext>SHORTY.htm
from Argos when DCs were 6 and 3. DD is now a tall 10 and still sleeps on it and uses the other bunk for her collection of soft toys/friends sleeping over.

thisisyesterday Mon 29-Jun-09 18:52:00

we got our thuka bed from rainbow wood in farnham,.
we went into the shop so we could see them first. it's a small family run business and the guy who owns it is SO nice. you can order online too, i always recommend them lol

anyway, I think there is a pic of it with the slanting ladder on the site somewhere.

ds1 is only 4.5 now, and his bed is plenty big still. I did ask the guy in the shop about it and he said it should do him til around 8-10 but obviously depends if you have particularly tall children grin

norksinmywaistband Mon 29-Jun-09 18:55:50

No experience of Bunk beds, but DS is in a mid sleeper at 3.5 and has been for a couple of months.
He gets himself up in the night for a wee - no problems.
I do think it depends on the child.
We just made sure the ladder had flat full steps on a slant rather than a standard bunk bed ladder

oodlesofpoodles Mon 29-Jun-09 19:28:35

I got a man in a pine furniture shop to make mine. They are like the thuka shorty but the size of ikea children's mattress. It was about half the price and they turn into 2 singles too. My 3yo sleeps on the top and my 5 yo on the bottom. We had a bed guard built into both because we the 3yo was on the bottom when she was younger.

strongblackcoffee Mon 29-Jun-09 21:57:11

oooh oodles that's a fab idea! Will investigate locally - then I won't feel guilty about spending a fortune, and will feel extra good about using local carpenter!

(thanks thisisyesterday, had a look at the site, it's great. I really appreciate the help!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now