Talk

Advanced search

kinder hotels - who's been then?

(24 Posts)
dizzydixies Sat 27-Jun-09 08:24:28

that sodding kinder hotel banner advert keeps winking at me and its looking more and more tempting grin

has anyone been/heard anything about them?

dizzydixies Sat 27-Jun-09 10:04:36

notyummy Sat 27-Jun-09 10:08:02

There are some threads on here if you do a search. I think there was mixed reviews IIRC. Some people thought they were great, others slightly less impressed with the childcare ratios and no English speaking carers.

dizzydixies Sat 27-Jun-09 10:14:43

thanks notyummy, I saw those, I was hoping to catch someone that had been so I could give them a bit of a grilling

not urgent though smile

dizzydixies Sat 27-Jun-09 15:00:03

CynicalCinders Sat 27-Jun-09 15:08:02

we had a bad time in one a few years ago

but an amazing time a week ago in Carintha

dizzydixies Sat 27-Jun-09 15:10:57

does that account for your MNname grin

do you mind me asking what age your kids are?

CynicalCinders Sat 27-Jun-09 15:14:46

no you can ask

dd is now 18 so she was too in love and too grown up ...
but she came on the first one

and ds is five...

need to go as he is unwell leave a message and will read later ...

CynicalCinders Sat 27-Jun-09 15:15:27

oh and ds is fluent in german as we live in Austria

MarmadukeScarlet Sat 27-Jun-09 15:15:45

Hello, we went last year to Sporthotel Achensee.

Although have not expressed a view on here, notyummy is correct - one english speaking childcarer out of 10(?) obviously on shifts so not always there, none in the under 4's, mostly childcarers had to rely on a bilingual 6 yr old to translate for DD. So DS (who is the harder work that I need the rest from!) didn't ever go into th creche.

However DD (then 8.5) is an experienced traveller and finds language no boundary to friendships, as I'm sure most children are similar - in fact the DC she didn't take to were some spoilt bossy girls of her own age who had English as a first language. The main prob was when the staff spoke quickly to give instructions (like get your shoes and hats on we are going to the woods now) and she would have to wait paitently to see what the other children were doing.

It rained ALOT but there were so many lovely indoor activities, the spa, swimming pools, saunas etc. The Sea-Alm where many meals were held was a beautiful wooden chalet with a stream/pond swimming pool for the DC and a lovely play area.

The food was of a good standard, you got to make a choice in the evening for main meals with waitress service, also there were buffets, BBQs etc

The rooms were basic furnishings, but nicely clean.

Any other queries add and I will return!

dizzydixies Sat 27-Jun-09 15:18:25

I just wondered if it was an option for us? We've got a 6yr old, 3yr old and soon to be 1yr old (all girls) and no support at all so even on holiday we don't stop - I think I was lured by the offer of the childcare just so DH and I could stop and catch our breath iyswim?

EugeneHCrabs Sat 27-Jun-09 15:20:45

I think it sounds grim.
Take your kids and enjoy them - dont fob them off

MarmadukeScarlet Sat 27-Jun-09 15:24:31

I suppose it depends on your DC, if they are used to a child care setting then I'm sure it will be fine. The 3 and 1 yr olds will be in together (if it is the same set up as the one we went to) and if your 6 yr old is of a reasonably sound disposition should be OK - all of the older DC are in together, so some fairly boisterous tweens/young teens racing around.

DD loved the facial, reflexology and massage lessons as there is a special SPA room for the DC. She was also given lessons how to your the sauna/steam/damp and ice rooms when it was too wet for her nordic walking lesson. She played golf a few times and had a few riding lessons (all included in the price) so for her it was the best holiday she'd ever had!

The swimming pools were lovely and we were there until we looked like prunes, the bike hire (free) was good too.

In fact apart from the rain and the horseflies it was very different from our usual hols but a great time had by all.

MarmadukeScarlet Sat 27-Jun-09 15:27:07

Well Eugene, I am a full time mum with a DS with severe SN, I never get a break as he is not at school.

I rely on good quality childcare on holiday to have a few hours to myself.

I am not fobbing them off, they are playing and having fun with other children whilst I recharge my batteries - making it better for all as I return after 2 or 3 hours full of energy again.

CynicalCinders Sat 27-Jun-09 15:33:35

for feck sake eugene

ds only attends kindergarten here for the mornings is at present ill again

he enjoyed his holiday he was allowed to choice what and when he went

leaves thread

dizzydixies Sat 27-Jun-09 18:26:13

really helpful Eugene, thanks for that insight hmm my DH and I look after our kids ourselves with no help from family etc

if we ever manage to have a holiday it would be nice to have the option of sitting down and catch our breath knowing that the kids are well looked after/enjoying themselves and in good company. I would presume that if you went to a family orientated facility such as these it would give you the option and not demand you hand over your children the minute you arrive only to collect them on the way out the door?

I enjoy my kids, constantly but I'd also like to enjoy my husband on occassion grin

CynicalCinders Sat 27-Jun-09 18:43:17

sorry dizzy

that upset me ...

you have ever right to enjoy your holiday and

enjoy your husband too....

dizzydixies Sat 27-Jun-09 18:45:27

there's is always someone with a sanctamonious hollier than tho attitude when it comes to these things, I find it easier to thank them politely, ignore it and move on smile

we're not even getting a bloody holiday this year as I've been off on unpaid matty so I could enjoy my kids, I was just wondering if it was something worth saving towards for next year

CynicalCinders Sat 27-Jun-09 18:52:16

you are right I normally ignore

tad too sentitive at the mo...me that is

save up
you can always treat yourself to something else

the hotel we stayed at was the best I have ever stayed at I Austria though.

dizzydixies Sat 27-Jun-09 19:00:32

you're absolutely right and by the time we have the money we'll need a new boiler/windows etc or something

holidays never seem to reach the top of our lists anymore sad

CynicalCinders Sat 27-Jun-09 19:07:00

aim for your holiday

and good luck saving

trockodile Sat 27-Jun-09 21:15:37

We went to Sporthotel Achensee this year (for more info see my review).

The main reason we went is because DH had been in Iraq (for nearly 5 months), we live in Germany with no family etc and I really fancied a break with no washing up/cooking/shopping etc. We chose a Kinder hotel mostly because I wanted to visit the Achensee and this hotel seemed good value, I wanted a seperate room for DS as I would not leave him in the evening and we wanted to be able to sit in our room and relax, and because I wanted play facilities in case it rained all the time!

The kids club was an optional extra for us but in the event we used it every evening as DS loved it and 2 or 3 times in the day(for shorter times mostly) when they had a special event DS did not want to miss! As an only child (not by choice) it is important that he can relax and play with other children while on holiday and he revelled in that freedom. He did not want to sit with us every evening and waste time eating!

He does speak German but the staff were mostly keen to speak English and I had to keep asking the to talk to him in German!

I found it very relaxing and would heartily recommend the hotel we went to.

HTH.

sonniboo Tue 07-Jul-09 21:31:47

We've been to the Hotel Alpenrose in Lermoos twice before (both in the summer) and had a fab time!

The facilities for both kids (children's playrooms, children's restaurant, fun activities during the day and evening) and for adults (lovely Spa, pool and restaurant) meant we all had a great, relaxing holiday.

It is great value for money too, considering all the food (including afternoon snacks, night time milk and tea bar), bike rental, buggy rental is all included in the price.

Regarding languages, of course, being in Austria, German is the dominant language (no surprise there smile), but as there were many French and English families in addition to German ones, most staff do try hard to speak at least some English.

AppleandMosesMummy Thu 09-Jul-09 22:52:56

If you want decent childcare go for Mark Warner, not perfect but certainly not bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now