Talk

Advanced search

Would you go to a european campsite with a 10 month old baby?

(9 Posts)
mosschops30 Thu 25-Jun-09 17:29:03

Im going to book next years holiday. We always do self catering package hols because thats what I prefer.
However have noticed that Thomson do campsites in south of france and thought might try it as dh loves camping.

We will be in a mobile home though, with bathroom etc. For me, dh, dd (12), ds (5) and new baby

Havent thought about logistics of travel yet (hire car when there and fly or take car and do overnight ferry to santander).

If anyone has any advice or has done this before please tell me your experiences.

mosschops30 Fri 26-Jun-09 12:19:36

bump smile

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Fri 26-Jun-09 12:23:14

Yes smile

We did stay in a Keycamp campsite in a static caravan thing when DS was 2.7 and DD was just over 9 months. We flew (to Limoges I think) and hired a car and had a great time smile

It was a really good holiday smile

mosschops30 Fri 26-Jun-09 12:35:23

Thanks smile

I am going to go to travel agent tomorrow and get them to add up our options and see what the costs are, I noticed that air con in the caravan was £96 extra, which i thought was shocking!

RunningGirl Fri 26-Jun-09 13:34:20

We did eurocamp when DS was 3 months and again at 1year (DD 3 years older) and both times were great and very easy. Think it's a top holiday for children of all ages and very feasible for babies. We usually do car ferry and drive but have also done a fly drive which worked well too.

TheYearOfTheCatMPADist Sat 27-Jun-09 00:15:11

We went to Keycamp in Brittany last year when my DD was just 3, and my DS was 14 months.

The campsite was a shared site, and from looking at the other mobile homes, I would definitely rate Eurocamp as having a better finish - by quite a long mile.

We found that because DS was still quite young, once we put him to bed, we had to tip-toe around because the walls were so thin - I spent most of my holiday saying 'sshhhh' grin

Your older DC will probably have a ball. It's great for older children.

From memory, bring bin bags, outdoor decking is a good idea - no ants, and my top holiday tip - pronto risotto - easy to make when you arrive exhausted - all it needs is hot water!

Leslaki Sat 27-Jun-09 16:16:28

DD went on a French Life camping holiday to the Vendee when she was 3 mo!!! DS was 18mo and we had a fab time!! You just need to work out if you'd rather drive and take all the stuff you think you'll need (and choose sites it's easier to drive to), or amke do with whatever the company can provide you with and fly/drive. I've done both and like both!! Did the fliy/bus (no hire car) here last year and going abck this year. Have driven to several French sites. You'll have a ball!! Check out other companies too - we go with canvas who are pretty good!

TheFallenMadonna Sat 27-Jun-09 16:19:26

I stayed in a mobile with an 11mo and a tent with a 6mo, both for two weeks. Mobiles are incredibly easy. Not camping though wink

blowbroth Sat 27-Jun-09 16:32:03

dd is 9 now but first went with us to s of france when she was 9 months old. We drove with all our camping gear in a small alfa romeo which was great fun! Can't remember any problems, we stayed in cheap formula 1 hotels with our own travel cot etc. on the way down. I would definately do it .
We have a caravan now but still go down every year for 4 weeks, me driving alone with dd and dh flying down for his 2 weeks. Sorry to go on but I'm looking forward to it already and can't wait!
Hope you have a good time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now