Talk

Advanced search

Holidays with preschoolers - how do I get a relaxing holiday without leaving the kids at home?

(16 Posts)
EldonAve Thu 25-Jun-09 17:10:33

Holidays with preschoolers - how do I get a relaxing holiday without leaving the kids at home?

It always seems like more work than usual looking after them in a different location
Are kids clubs the answer?

ThePhantomPlopper Thu 25-Jun-09 19:36:02

I imagine that a kids club is definitely the answer at least for a day or two, so you can have some down time.

fucksticks Thu 25-Jun-09 19:37:11

i've just booked here and am hoping this is the answer!!!

wonderingwondering Thu 25-Jun-09 19:46:29

Depends on their age - when I looked into kids clubs I found that they had creches for my 2 year old, but my 4 year old was too old for the creche but not old enough for the clubs for school-age children - where the supervision is much lower. Even if they'd taken him I wouldn't have been happy with a pre-schooler in a club for 4-8 yr olds, which is what was generally offered.

We tend to book a suite or condo so we can put the children to bed in the evening and sit on a balcony, and there's room for them to play if we want to read or relax in the day. Or Eurocamp is always a good bet if you don't mind caravanning, you get the flexibility of a kitchen and lots of children around to play with yours, and the campsites are always really geared to young families.

thatsnotmymonster Thu 25-Jun-09 20:03:18

I have been extremely surprised this year to find that caravanning is the most relaxing holiday I have ever had with the dcs. We were given a very old caravan earlier this year and have been away 5 times already (longest for 5 nights).

I have a 4, 2.10 and 1yo. So far we have tried:

Rented house in France with pool (4mth old baby)
Rented house in Cornwall with sis, BIL and their child (20wks) and 2 of ours aged 18mth and 8wks.
Catered chalet in Morzine with sis, BIL, their child aged 14mths, and ours age 2 and 1.
Wooden cabin thing in Croatia on big campsite/holiday village with our kids aged 3, 2 and 4mths.

I think I find the caravan thing so relaxing because:
It's so small there's hardly any cleaning/houswork.
You can get away with doing loads of easy meals/bbq and picnics.
Everything you need is right there.
The children have loads of freedom and can run around/ride bikes in a relatively safe environment and you can watch them whatever you're doing.

However, I'm sure that if you were to spend enough money you could find somewhere relaxing with good childcare.

Kiwinyc Thu 25-Jun-09 21:29:17

Definitely using a Creche or Kids Club, esp the ones we have where the staff will babysit in the evening so we get a nice dinner alone. Or travelling with rellies who will help take care of them. Or friends without children who will take care of them. Or another family with children so they play together and you can take turns babysitting for each other maybe.

janinlondon Fri 26-Jun-09 08:59:08

Neilson holidays are the definitive answer. I've tried them all. No one comes close. (No association etc etc)!

EldonAve Fri 26-Jun-09 21:42:25

Thanks for all the suggestions

Ewe Fri 26-Jun-09 21:43:34

I go with my in-laws, it is fab. Obviously only works if you like your ILs!

Babbity Fri 26-Jun-09 21:43:50

Go to a hotel. We love Knoll House in Dorset as you get babysitting every evening, and after lunch too, to eat lovely food in peace.

Meglet Fri 26-Jun-09 21:47:39

i've booked super poncey gwel an mor in cornwall for next summer (i have to save up as it costs £££££). have booked a 3 bed chalet with en-suite so i can drag lil sister with me to help! it gets good reviews for families with young children. Its in the Hoseasons brochure too.

www.gwelanmor.com

snickersnack Fri 26-Jun-09 21:50:45

Go with (good) friends who have children of similar ages. Lots of people will be horrified at the suggestion, but it works for us.

Doozle Fri 26-Jun-09 21:54:16

We did the small scale kids club thing (Mousses) and it was fabulous. It really is the only relaxing holiday we've had since having children.

Only put her in the creche for 3 hours a day but made the world of difference. She had a ball in the creche too so everyone was a winner.

piscesmoon Fri 26-Jun-09 22:07:16

I would go with friends with DCs the same age-they amuse themselves. You have to make sure that the friends have similar ideas on bringing up children.
We also went with my brother and family as the DCs were the same age and got on well. We could take turns baby sitting.
Parents and PIL are another good bet.
Mine never liked kids clubs and it doesn't seem a holiday for them if they are bundled off.

LupusinaLlamasuit Fri 26-Jun-09 22:08:36

Three words: Bedruthan Steps Hotel

EldonAve Mon 29-Jun-09 18:00:47

Thanks for all the suggestions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now