Talk

Advanced search

is this allowed?

(47 Posts)
nybom Tue 23-Jun-09 21:26:38

hi,

DH has booked a double room in a five star hotel for this weekend, but he didn't mention our children angry because he didn't want to book a suit which you'd normally get with 4 people...

now he's thinking of ways of me checking in without the children (as he'll join us in the evening) and then smuggling them in later when the reception is busy... hmm

to save me all the fuss: does anyone know wether you HAVE to book a suite if there's four of you? please tell me there's a way round this and i can just check in "legally" with the children!

themoon Tue 23-Jun-09 21:29:40

Where will your children sleep if it's only a room for two? You will need to tell the hotel so they can put up third bed and travel cot or something.

Portofino Tue 23-Jun-09 21:30:33

Umm, normally hotel rooms have a max occupancy including put you up beds. Some hotels charge extra for these, or some are free depending on the age of the child.

How old are your dcs? Do you need an extra bed or are you happy with both in the double with you? Not exactly a romantic hotel stay! wink

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Jun-09 21:31:39

not sure if you have to have a suite, but they really ought to know who is in there.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 23-Jun-09 21:31:57

I don't know whether you have to have a suite - in hotels, we usually have a family room or an extra z-bed for our dd, but maybe it's different with two children. However, I'm sure you have to book places of some type for your children (even if they're too young for the hotel to charge for them) as your booking with the hotel is a contract and smuggling in extra guests is theft or fraud.

nybom Tue 23-Jun-09 21:56:09

forgot to mention - they are 1 and 4 years old. we're taking a travel cot and the 4 year old can sleep in our bed (or vice versa, the beds there are MASSIVE). grin

meanwhile, DH has just come up with the idea that i leave DSs in a restaurant whilst checking in... hmm

saggyhairyarse Tue 23-Jun-09 22:17:36

I know it's a bugger but also they need to know who is where because of Fire Regs.

janeite Tue 23-Jun-09 22:20:05

Ooh this is not a good idea at all. What if there was a fire?

annh Tue 23-Jun-09 22:57:16

Are you sure you even have to pay for them at that age? What happens if reception doesn't become "busy" - how are you going to sneak them up to your room? And what are you going to do with them once you get them there, how will they eat? Actually, I've just noticed that you are checking in on your own and your dh thinks you can leave a 1-yr old and a 4-yr old unattended in a hotel restaurant while you do so?! And possibly for whatever length of time it takes you ensure the coast is clear to sneak them up? Is the man mad?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Tue 23-Jun-09 22:59:50

Just tell them.

Tell them it's nothing extra as you're bringing your own travel cots.

What exactly is he planning to do for breakfast in this five star hotel? Go to little chef?

oranges Tue 23-Jun-09 23:00:49

I'm pretty sure you won't have to ay extra for the children anyway. Why not ring them up and pretend to be someone else and ask?

MissSunny Wed 24-Jun-09 00:50:25

Message withdrawn

MissSunny Wed 24-Jun-09 00:50:57

Message withdrawn

nybom Wed 24-Jun-09 08:43:26

aw thanks miss sunny smile, but DH has now decided he will come clear and simply tell the hotel that - ooops - there are two children as well.

we still need to figure a way round me trailing through london (this is where we going) with 2 children, a buggy, a travel cot and luggage for 4 people for 4 days... DH thinks i should just limit the things i'm taking and stuff them in the back of the buggy.. hmm

honestly, he has more common sense than me usually, but when it come to money and practical thinking with regards to housework and/or children, it's the opposite way round.

LIZS Wed 24-Jun-09 08:46:52

Won't they supply a cot of you ask ?

nybom Wed 24-Jun-09 08:51:50

DH said last time he booked a room in that hotel he had asked (though we stayed without the children) and they said it would cost an extra 25 pounds.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 24-Jun-09 08:56:03

for the sakle of £25 you may as well pay it. I have snuck kids in hotels before though. Mainly because we have four and we end up getting spread over two rooms if we tell them! Thats generally for a one night stop over though rather than a planned break.

nybom Wed 24-Jun-09 09:07:52

the 25 pounds wouldn't be the biggest problem. there's the 4 year old as well, and also, DH is afraid they'll give us two doubles or a suite or something if he tells them...

LIZS Wed 24-Jun-09 09:09:43

most have a sofa bed for under 12's

nybom Wed 24-Jun-09 09:55:56

so DH rang the hotel, and it costs an extra 370 pounds as we had to book a second double room. angry

DH announced this to me in an accusing tone of voice and our discussion ended up in the usual quarrel about tidyness and general state of the house, money, work and who's to blaim for what... angry

AMumInScotland Wed 24-Jun-09 10:23:43

So why didn't he think all this through before he made the booking?! There's plenty of other places where you wouldn't have had this problem if he'd bothered to think ahead.

nybom Wed 24-Jun-09 10:36:08

i don't know... he's usually a meticulous planner.

Blackduck Wed 24-Jun-09 10:59:12

do they not have a family room? I wouldn't want another double room because at those ages I wouldn't have ds away from me.

nybom Wed 24-Jun-09 11:07:14

booked up... it is from tomorrow evening onwards. we're setting off tomorrow morning at 5 am (yaaaawn...).

DadInsteadofMum Wed 24-Jun-09 11:48:24

Sorry wished I had spotted this earlier - I never tell hotels, its got nothing to do with fire regs (thats just the usual H&S red herring) and all to do with them making money. Hotel staff in the big hotels have no idea who is walking through their lobbies so there would be no "sneaking" element to it.

My advice? Cancel (you probably can do this up to 24 hours before arrival at no charge)

Rebook (it will be a central booking system they will never know)

And save yourselves paying for something you don't want or need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now