Talk

Advanced search

Any travellers longling to be back on the road again?

(8 Posts)
kidsRTW Tue 23-Jun-09 09:54:48

I am someone who has always travelled lots for months at a time earing my living as I went.
I then had a break when the kids were really small but have recently restarted backpacking with them. we have had a few fantastic treks with me home educating them and us exploring remote parts of the world.
I had - until now - accepted that we would now again need to take a few years' break whilst exams are coming. however, I have not even been back a year from our last long travel and (both the kids and I) are struggling to stay. they actually asked me to long term home educate so we could spend more time on the road but I don't think that this is a particularly sensible option overall as they will have to reintegrate at some point.
Also, I would then have to totally sell up and give up my job.
Still, I am not someone who likes being settled!
I guess there is no easy answer but I am just wondering if there is anyone out there in the same boat?

nappyaddict Tue 23-Jun-09 10:19:57

Out of interest how old were the kids when you started backpacking with them cos I'd love to do this with my DS when he's a bit older.

kidsRTW Wed 24-Jun-09 22:00:10

I started the first backpacking trips when DD3 was 4 and first ventured out to India for longer when she was 5. Could bore you with that for hours. What are you planning?

nappyaddict Wed 24-Jun-09 23:00:21

My friend asked me if I wanted to go to Thailand with her and her DD so maybe there.

kidsRTW Thu 25-Jun-09 22:00:42

sounds great and go for it. I was a little selective with my destinations due to health issues specific to that age group. Even though we always eat the local food and drink the local water etc but for example multi resistant malaria (thailand) does worry me. I also tried to check quite clearly what in particular I / we wanted to get out of it and see there and i involved the kids very much in the preparations.
But otherwise - great!! how old are your kids?

nappyaddict Fri 26-Jun-09 12:37:43

I'm not too keen on Thailand tbh. Are there not health issues with India aswell though? I've just got the one DS. He's 3.

kidsRTW Fri 26-Jun-09 14:51:07

Of course there are health issues in most developing countries but it was just a question of weighing the relative risks for me! Falciparum malaria can kill kids whereas Dengue - a problem we might have had in India - usually doesn't. 3 seems quite young to me as your DS will not understand a lot of the necessary restrictions and discomforts you will endure unless you are going more upmarket.

nappyaddict Fri 26-Jun-09 17:00:38

We wouldn't be doing it for a good 2-3 years - got to save first!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now