Talk

Advanced search

Creiff Hydro. Anyone been????

(23 Posts)
6inchnipples Sun 21-Jun-09 21:43:15

Thinking of going for 2 nights. £350 for me dp and 3 under 5. Is it worth it??

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 21-Jun-09 21:45:54

I've been there, it was lovely. I didn't have any children with me, though.

geordieminx Sun 21-Jun-09 21:50:57

havent stayed but have visited. Its a bit like an up market butlins... Not in a bad way though IYKWIM?

Its set in beautiful grounds, and there is absolutely loads for kids to do.

In a similar vein the hilton up at aveimore is supposed to be good too.

I guess it just depends how many of the facilites you'll use with kids being quite young still, cant remember exactly but lots of archery, quad biking, horse riding etc which they'll probably be too small for?

6inchnipples Sun 21-Jun-09 21:51:41

Mmm, its that or a few nights in harris.
what do you think?? never been to either!

6inchnipples Sun 21-Jun-09 21:54:28

I loved the idea of 6 hours childcare included in price but in reality only ds(4) would be left without tears. 9mnth old still very attached to the boob and dd1(2) probably will cry within first 30mins!

Thinkin harris maybe better idea!Anyone been and recommend somewhere nice to stay??

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 21-Jun-09 21:57:14

I haven't been to Harris in many, many years - 22, actually - bit it looks like there isn't a lot of choice. It's only small. More here, including Lewis.

6inchnipples Sun 21-Jun-09 22:11:09

Thinking if going to harris defo going self catering. Would only venture to hotel that is childfriendly.

Anyone know of good cottages or any self catering in Harris to be recommended??

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 21-Jun-09 22:15:23

You might find it difficult to get self-catering/cottages for only two nights, in peak season, but good luck trying. There may be late cancencellations.

Here's a start point.

6inchnipples Sun 21-Jun-09 22:24:37

oldlady thanks for the links.

Can i ask were you at crieff hydro recently?

Is the food nice, i love 'nice' food, that would be the highlight for me really, having a nice meal that i didn't have to make myself!!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 21-Jun-09 22:36:53

It was last summer, IIRC. And yes, it has "nice" food.

I think you'll enjoy it - I see they have a creche for littlies now. The outdoor space is brilliant for energetic children.

6inchnipples Sun 21-Jun-09 22:45:26

We live rurally in a really nice 'picturesque' part of the highlands so outdoor space a plenty, for free, i'd really need good food and luxurious surroundings to make it worth 350 quid for 2 nights.
Am i going to be dissapointed given i have big expectations!grin

350 quid would also cover many a day trip if we stayed at home.

I'm really unsure as i've just read some threads saying food not good at hydro and then recommending a hotel in the highlands (less than 3 miles from where we live)

Guess we are spoiled in many ways with our location but house tiny and cluttered so could do with a 'luxury' break with nice food and stuff to amuse kids..... ah decisions decisions....

snigger Sun 21-Jun-09 22:49:36

I have but it was ten years ago, sadly.

All I remember is the fantastic breakfast - I'm a bit shallow that way.

Crieff and environs are lovely - go to the Famous Grouse Experience, or Auchingarroch (animals & stuff) if you have kids.

6inchnipples Sun 21-Jun-09 22:53:58

yes snigger thats the kind of thing i'd remember. Food very high on my list of priorities! grin

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 21-Jun-09 22:54:41

Ah, OK, it may not be that good, then. Hmm. Have you looked at New Lanark? I've been there a few times, and the food has been consistently good.

Quattrocento Sun 21-Jun-09 22:57:04

I went to Crieff Hydro in around 1996, I think. Had a totally surreal experience there. Was sitting having dinner in the hotel - something I don't usually do but it had been a long journey and wasn't up to fossicking around for a restaurant - when in walked four elderly ladies wearing long (floor length) tartan kilts. Followed by another half dozen or so similarly attired. Then a few chaps (their kilts were knee length) then more and more and more. Eventually there were around 60 people in full kit.

Don't know if it still goes on but it wasn't a special function - apparently they do all dress for dinner ...

Mistymoo Sun 21-Jun-09 22:57:18

DH and I stayed at the Murraypark which is the sister hotel, 5 mins walk away and much cheaper, and you can still use all the facilities at the Hydro.

We didn't have the kids with us so just a lazy weekend for us. We did try to do a couple of things but they were very busy and so booked up so I suggest that if you wanted to do something specific you would need to book early.

Mistymoo Sun 21-Jun-09 22:59:55

Which hotel were you recommended before? We live in the Highlands too.

6inchnipples Sun 21-Jun-09 23:09:47

misty it was someone else who was recommended it, but it was the polmaily house hotel near lochness. Do you know it?

6inchnipples Sun 21-Jun-09 23:16:10

oldlady new lanark does look nice but would it be child friendly? I have to say beast hotel experience of late was an overnight stay in stanstead on route to france, we stayed in a hotel near airport, clean and functional, we went to local town and got fresh bread from market and then goodies from m&s like prawns, hummous, cheese, wine, nice fruit, cake etc and had a lovely 'picnic' in the room. Is this sad or what?? But it was nice to be eating nice food, not cooking, not washing up and we were all relaxed and happy![saddo emoticon]

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 21-Jun-09 23:19:45

I haven't stayed there with children - mine are grown up - but I have seen children there. The rooms are spacious and the halls wide, the windows have locks to stop them over-opening. But there's a river at the back of it and I don't think it's fenced off. The hotel is set in a cobblestone yard, there are no gardens. Maybe one of the self-catering cottages would be a compromise?

6inchnipples Sun 21-Jun-09 23:20:00

quattro nothing about old scottish people would surprise me, my wee granny, god rest her, was the most surprising 85 year old ever. A hardy women she was!

6inchnipples Sun 21-Jun-09 23:23:50

I think we might just have some day trips and that way we can take nice picnics, have meals out and visit places we never usually have a chance to usually with work etc. Maybe i'll price one overnight stay at the hydro to see what its like for future ref!

Thanks for the help everyone grin

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 21-Jun-09 23:31:07

Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now