Talk

Advanced search

Train travel with a one-year-old - how? Any tips?

(8 Posts)
Essie3 Sun 21-Jun-09 15:50:22

I regularly travel between north Wales and London, and usually take the car, which is a 6 hour+ journey. I'm going for a long weekend this coming weekend, and thought I'd go by train. All well, until I started to worry about the practicalities...

My DS is just one, and crawls, cruises, but doesn't walk unaided. The journey is 3 1/2 hours by train. I was going to leave the car at the station, and get DH to meet me with the pram at Euston, but what do I do with my DS for the train journey?
He plays with toys nicely, but not sitting in a chair! He also 'reads' books, but not for 3 hours. He will probably need to eat during that time - how do I manage that? I wasn't thinking of taking the car seat, but is that going to make things more challenging?

Sorry about the stupidity!! grin

mamadiva Sun 21-Jun-09 16:14:18

Hiya,

I make a 5 hour commute by train with my DS 3 times a year and have done since he was 6 weeks old.

He's now 3 and I always take a small bag of toys. Touchy feely books, mini aquadraw or just pen and paper are a big hit as well as some of favourite toys with us it's cars and a teddy. All keeps him entertained but TBH he has always spent a good hour staring out the window as he was so fascinated by the scenery.

I also normally have a changing bag with nappies, wipes, comforter, cup of juice, spare water bottle with juice to refill, a sandwich, pack of quavers, yoghurt and a piece of fruit in! It sounds a lot but spread it out if he gets bored a small snack always seems to help. blushgrin

It sounds bad but if you can sit in the disabled spot (if noone needs obviously) as these are normally right next to toilets/changing facilities and have a bigger space next to them for DS to sit on floor with you out of the way and a bit of space to potter about.

Sorry for wittering but this is like my travel rules

Essie3 Sun 21-Jun-09 16:20:11

God, no, wittering is what I need! I have the big 6 hour car journey sorted, but sometimes it would be nice to not have to drive! I did consider going 1st class for the space but I'm not that rich. grin The disabled space sounds perfect, though!

sarah293 Sun 21-Jun-09 16:20:32

Message withdrawn

mamadiva Sun 21-Jun-09 16:30:11

Also meant to say book your tickets in advance at trainline.com can save you a fortune we save almost 50% when we go using this.

And meant to say no to car seat will drive you mental as big and bulky but our stroller was handy as could be folded down smallish and stowed but put up if DS was tired.

bitofadramaqueen Mon 22-Jun-09 07:41:45

Hi Essie,

1st class can be pretty cheap if you book well in advance (maybe next time?). We've done Edinburgh to London a couple of times and the extra space in 1st class was great.

I'd take a fold up buggy instead of a car seat, and you can book 'assistance' in advance so someone can help you on the train. I second sitting in the 'wheelchair' space if no-one needs it. There's usually two in the carriage on our train - I usually sit in the small one, and it looks near on impossible to fit a whhelchair. You can put your buggy up and it'll give him a change of scene (and somewhere to sleep).

They won't heat food up on the train, so take something that can be served cold! Have plenty of snacks too.

Keep a few favourite toys out of sight for a few days before the trip so he'll be excited to see them.

The train journey itself will be a big deal. DS can watch the world go by for ages!

bitofadramaqueen Mon 22-Jun-09 08:00:50

Oh, make sure you change his nappy just before you get on the train, then you'll only have to change it if it's pooey one!

abdnhiker Mon 22-Jun-09 08:37:46

I've always brought my buggy and if there's no wheelchair users you can use the straps to secure the buggy to the train and then if they're sleeping in it the buggy wont be loose. I think the train is much easier than a car!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now