Talk

Advanced search

Loft/ bunk bed advice please! dont know where to start...

(9 Posts)
civilfawlty Sat 20-Jun-09 16:28:51

I want to get a bunk (loft?) bed with a desk underneath for my dd (6) - though i would rather get my own desk, i think, as my memory is that they are all rather vile. I'd also like it to be white, or to paint it - so it can't be fake wood.

Can i get the cheap pine ikea one and customise it so that it has support at the bottom and screw it into the wall? and if not, can anyone recommend where to start looking please?

as ever, money is an issue, so it needs to be inexpensive as possible! happy to go secondhand, by the way, of anyone is selling. (i'm in north london)...

what else... gosh, don't know, have no idea of the ins and outs... please feel free to advise.

with thanks
cf

WowOoo Sat 20-Jun-09 16:55:22

We've jsut looked at bunk beds in Ikea and I jsut didn't think they were sturdy enough so went elsehwere. Other threads say otherwise though. Perhaps what you suggest is an option.

I looked up 'bunk beds/ cabin beds' on Mnet and googled it and got loads of webpages to choose from.

You can get cheap, real wood ones.

Unfortunately I've deleted all the web pages from my favourites but search MN and there are loads of links and recommendations.
Hope you get a nice one. Got ours from Aspace, pricey but looks like it will last and DS is very very happy!

civilfawlty Sat 20-Jun-09 17:22:28

thank you very much. will do...

ta!

cat64 Sat 20-Jun-09 17:48:26

Message withdrawn

We spent yesterday trawling furniture shops for a mid sleeper bed for DD. A lot of bunk beds we saw were metal and looked quite nice, not sure if it's what you were after. Dreams have a sale at the mo and had some nice ones. Avoid Furniture Village if money's an issue. Bensons also seem to be reasonable, although think the majority of beds in there were fake wood.

DadInsteadofMum Wed 24-Jun-09 12:03:51

Often referred to as "cabin beds" try searching for that.

FlyMeToDunoon Wed 24-Jun-09 12:20:20

Just about to buy DD1 9yrs a loft bed with desk from a company called Pine Design. £220 for unfinished pine bed and desk. We need narrow so are getting a 2'6" one but thay do different widths and can make different to order.
Obviously not recieved yet so can't say if quality will be ok or not.

FlyMeToDunoon Wed 24-Jun-09 12:22:06

here

OtterInaSkoda Wed 19-Aug-09 16:46:40

FlyMe - thanks for the link. That's exactly what I'm after for ds. I take it your dd's bed has arrived by now - is it OK?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now