Talk

Advanced search

Vote please! Which holiday would you choose???

(29 Posts)
fucksticks Fri 19-Jun-09 17:46:13

Background info -
Holiday will be 1 week mid September.
Will be me, DH and 2 DS's ages 3 years and 18 months

We could have a week self catering at a 3 star place in Portugal (Algarve) with pretty much guaranteed weather, a pool, beach, kids club etc
Also would be flight with no seat for 18 month old and pricey when we get there in terms of spending money as Euro v expensive.

OR

A week at a farm in Cornwall which only takes families with children under 5. Does daily activities with the children, toys everywhere, special early dinners, babysitting on demand etc
Would be cheaper in terms of spending money as breakfast and dinner included.
Downside here would be mammoth car journey there and back, which would cost money plus be stressful with the kids!
Weather could be shit.
this is the farm.

POLL please - what should we choose???

timmette Fri 19-Jun-09 17:54:07

cornwall

giddykipper Fri 19-Jun-09 17:57:27

Cornwall

HeadFairy Fri 19-Jun-09 17:59:08

I'd go for the Algarve... the pound is starting to strengthen again so it may not be as expensive as you thought.

But I'm a lover of all things hot and sunny so I'm biased!

LilianGish Fri 19-Jun-09 18:00:32

Cornwall.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Fri 19-Jun-09 18:03:59

another vote for cornwall - holidays abroad fro pre-schoolers completely overrated.

TrillianAstra Fri 19-Jun-09 18:05:00

How long is the car journey door-to-door?

And how long is it to Portugal door-to-door (driving to airport, parking, checking in, waiting about, flight, baggage, getting car, driving to where you're going, etc)?

Personally I am a sucker for a bit of sunshine, like HeadFairy.

pointydog Fri 19-Jun-09 18:06:31

hmm, tricky. How hot is Portugal in mid Sept? I think it might be too hot for us.

Hoiw far from Cornwall do you live? The long journey has always put me right off Cornwall.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 19-Jun-09 18:08:57

Well I was thinking camping in Cornwall so deffo go for Algarve in mid September. But that's proper accommodation isn't it, so I'd be tempted to say Cornwall. So much stuff at that place for tiny ones. Could actually be easier.

fucksticks Fri 19-Jun-09 18:12:04

Car journey about 7 hours shock, so will be quite a bit longer once breaks are added in

Portugal would be 1.5 hrs to airport
1.5 hours checking in/waiting
2.5 hour flight
2 hour collecting bags and transfer

so very similar time wise, except one will be sitting in car the whole time and one will be in fits and starts

I'm very tempted by Cornwall but am very put off by the car journey

fucksticks Fri 19-Jun-09 18:14:20

mid 20's I think in Portugal temp wise

timmette Fri 19-Jun-09 18:19:38

would you have to pay to park car at airport

VeraChuckandDave Fri 19-Jun-09 18:22:39

Cornwall

loobylolly Fri 19-Jun-09 18:46:21

Algarve, no question

MissSunny Fri 19-Jun-09 19:06:11

Message withdrawn

fucksticks Fri 19-Jun-09 19:09:46

No, cant go earlier. Mad year for weddings of close friends and family!

I am still wavering from one to the other in an indecisive manner!
I think I would go for Cornwall if it wasnt for the massive journey, but am wondering if thats maybe enough to tip me over into thinking Algarve...

ooooh decisions decisions

moshie Fri 19-Jun-09 19:23:49

Cornwall. At least in the car you can stop and start wherever and whenever you like on the way to break the journey up a bit. And you can take everything but the kitchen sink in a car, unlike trying to take everything you need and stay within your baggage allowance for the plane.

feedthegoat Fri 19-Jun-09 19:28:00

Cornwall. It is a similar time for us if not abit longer (it has taken us 10 hours in past) but it is fine if you stop enough. I prefer car to planes with small children anyway as it is easier to take your entire house contents grin.

hf128219 Fri 19-Jun-09 19:29:31

Get the train?

raspberrytart Fri 19-Jun-09 19:47:15

Cornwall-could you drive through the night? You could share driving,kids will sleep and arrive bright and breezy -only prob is driver will need to catch up zzzzzzzzzs on first day
IME overseas travel with littlies is awfull-you may have angels tho'!They'll be bored at the airport/on the plane /ears popping/no seat for smallest.

fucksticks Fri 19-Jun-09 19:52:37

I definitely do NOT have angels grin

DH just got home. I have been sole holiday researcher so far and am going to propose my 2 plans to him over dinner and see what he says.
I think he will prefer Cornwall tbh, so if he does then I think it might just swing it for that choice!

raspberrytart Fri 19-Jun-09 20:05:19

Enjoy your holiday,it takes us about 7 hours to get to cornwall too,we went pre ds tho'.

Kiwinyc Fri 19-Jun-09 21:34:59

Algarve, definitely.

The 7hr drive to Cornwall would ruin it for us and enduring the drive there and back would undo any good memories we might have had about the holiday. Flights to Portugal are a doddle, even if child has no seat.

We have done Greece, Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Madeira, Switzerland by air and its never been as miserable as the 3hr drive (which ends up being closer to 5 expensive hours stopping at motorway services when you have to stop with kids) to Wales from London to visit rellies.

Claire2301 Fri 19-Jun-09 21:39:45

Just had 5 days in Portugal and found it really good value. We stayed in Praia da Rocha and had a 3 course meal for two people for 22 euro including drinks (1 lemonade, 1 malibu and lemonade, 1 glass wine, 3 shots free porto!)
Went in October last year as well and temp was 23-28 the whole time. We hired a car which cost a lot less than the £30 per person transfers.

Hulababy Fri 19-Jun-09 21:41:59

Algarve - the weather sways it for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now