Talk

Advanced search

kid free special weekend - where would you go ?

(27 Posts)
Wheelybug Fri 19-Jun-09 14:04:40

If you had 2 nights for 10th wedding anniversary, no kids, money no object (within reason) - where would you go ?

end of july (next yr), live in london.....

Iklboo Fri 19-Jun-09 14:06:39

We're going to Edinburgh for our 5th this year
Were thinking od something like a vow renewal at a tacky Vegas drive-thru for our 10th (but for a week, not weekend)grin

Wheelybug Fri 19-Jun-09 14:21:29

Vegas sounds fun - unforetunately our youngest will only be 16 months so don't think fair to leave for too long !

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 19-Jun-09 14:23:36

Italy somewhere.

Wheelybug Fri 19-Jun-09 14:25:22

Italy a possibility - we honeymooned in Verona (opera festival) and the lakes so had thought of another Italian city but think it might be v.v.v.v.v. hot and busy given its end of July (start of summer hols).

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 19-Jun-09 14:29:03

vvvvvvvvv hot would be lovely though would it not? Is it all busy in Italy? I guess all the places you could get to easily would be that time of year...hmm.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 19-Jun-09 14:33:13

DH said Amsterdam when I asked him the question...i said 'is that romantic then babe, what would you have in mind, get stoned and watch some erotica?' and he said' you are so uncultured, there is more to amsterdam that just drugs and sex' grin, so I asked him what, and he grinned at me and itched his ear which meant 'caught out' grin then he said 'seriously, Italy by the lakes' ! So, I know where he can take me next wink

Wheelybug Fri 19-Jun-09 17:56:22

LOL Pavlov - hmm yes, perhaps Amsterdam not the sort of thing I was thinking grin

MissSunny Fri 19-Jun-09 19:09:50

Message withdrawn

cyanarasamba Fri 19-Jun-09 19:18:58

We just got back from our 10th wedding anniversary break - 3 nights kid-free, was lovely.

We went here:

Wood House

It's the only house on the lake. We did a few walks in the day, took out a row boat (again, it was just us!) and strolled along the shore to the village for dinner.

hf128219 Fri 19-Jun-09 19:27:00

Isles of Scilly are beautiful

Somewhere like this www.tresco.co.uk/stay/hell-bay/default.aspx

Wheelybug Fri 19-Jun-09 19:54:11

Thanks ! I seem to have 2 threads running the same - oops !

Misssunny - I agree there are some great points to Amsterdam, and I have been although not since I was a child and would be an interesting place to go back to but perhaps not on this occasion.

Prague is a great suggestion but we went for one of our anniversaries before (4th I think ?).

Cyanara - that looks a lovely place - congratulations on 10 years !

hf - hmm.. that looks like very much the thing we're looking for actually - DH wanted seaside. Just wondering how long it would take us to get there. We had ruled out cornwall on distance but I see you cna fly from Southampton. I also love the fact its called 'Hell Bay' - v. appropriate for 10 years of wedded hell bliss grin.

hf128219 Fri 19-Jun-09 20:11:46

You can also fly from London City to Plymouth and then pick up the helicopter. Tis great fun! You really feel like you are going on a holiday.

Wheelybug Fri 19-Jun-09 20:25:22

ooh am definitely going to research that one thoroughly HF - am liking it...

hf128219 Fri 19-Jun-09 20:32:41

Can you go for 3 nights? Then you would have 2 whole days to relax.

If you had a week I would suggest this place www.stay-hebrides.com/flash.html

Wheelybug Fri 19-Jun-09 20:35:22

Am sure we could get babysitting for 3 nights but not sure I'd be happy leaving the children for so long (pathetic mother I know) Mind you, DD2 is only 14 weeks old at the moment, I might have changed my mind by then (especially if she carries on sleeping as badly as she does grin).

hf128219 Fri 19-Jun-09 20:43:58

I know what you mean! But 3 nights really feels like you've been away.

selby Fri 19-Jun-09 23:06:28

We're spending a long weekend in/near Varenna (Italian Lakes) for our 10th anniversary this autumn. We're combining it with attending a friend's wedding out there sans kids which reminds me to get a move on with researching accommodation.

poshtottie Sat 20-Jun-09 08:48:27

Monte Carlo. Its fab and very indulgent.

GeckoLovingHornedThing Sat 20-Jun-09 08:51:20

bed...to sleep grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 20-Jun-09 09:07:10

Monte Carlo is beautiful

How about Brussels?

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sat 20-Jun-09 09:15:57

I thought you said your youngest was 16 months? (Confused and irrelevant).

barnsleybelle Sat 20-Jun-09 09:29:44

New York
Iceland
Luxury hotel in the lake district

new york is where we are going for my 40th next March. We got married there and it's the most wonderful kid free weekend ever.

hf128219 Sat 20-Jun-09 10:14:40

Agree re Iceland. Hotel 101 in Reykjavik is nice as is the Hotel Budir on the Snaef Peninsula.

Wheelybug Sat 20-Jun-09 19:03:23

Ourlady - DD2 is 14 weeks now, our 10th anniversary is next July when she'll be 16 months. Just trying to get intial ideas !!

iceland - sounds a good idea !

*new york* - Am planning NYC for my 40th (which is a while off but good to plan these things !!). By then I'll be happy to leave the kids for a while and enjoy it properly smile.

DH was suggesting a luxurious hotel in the UK somewhere so we don't spend all our time travelling for 2 nights. Seaside ideally - although not Brighton (am from Brighton so a bit familiar !).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now