Talk

Advanced search

PASSPORT VALIDITY QUERY- FRANCE

(11 Posts)
noonar Fri 19-Jun-09 10:01:56

dd2's (UK)passport expires in october. we travel to france in august. does anyone know if her passport will need renewing before we go, or is it ok to have only 6 weeks validity left on it?

tia

Wigeon Fri 19-Jun-09 10:09:57

Foreign Office advice here

noonar Fri 19-Jun-09 10:15:07

thanks wigeon. got this info below from the french embassy site, but found it a bit ambiguous. do EU nationals also need ID card,if less than 3 months validity, or only other countries listed??

"Passports: Passport valid for three months beyond length of stay required by all, except:
1. nationals of EU countries, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco, San Marino and Switzerland holding valid national ID cards"

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 19-Jun-09 13:08:31

Swiss citizens carry national ID cards. UK citizens are regarded as EU nationals, the UK is a part of the EU.

From reading your last post it would seem that 6 weeks validity on your DD's passport would not cause any problems (particularly if your DD is a British citizen rather than a British subject).

noonar Fri 19-Jun-09 13:43:41

thnks. your prob right, but i feel a bit nervous about it.... dh needs to renew, so may just do dd's at the same time.

Wigeon Sat 20-Jun-09 21:17:11

How about this from the French embassy website: "as the holder of a British passport, you may travel to France up until the expiry date of your travel document". See half way down on this page.

Wigeon Sat 20-Jun-09 21:18:25

Also, did you know that if you apply for a new passport for DD now, they add on any unexpired time to the new passport? (DH just renewed his passport so that's how I know).

noonar Sun 21-Jun-09 08:26:29

wigeon, have applied for a new one smile thanks.

Wigeon Sun 21-Jun-09 09:07:13

Have a good trip! We're going to France in August too (Loire Valley) smile.

PassingThrough Wed 09-Sep-09 12:15:37

I found this page looking for details on how much validity I needed left on a British passport visiting France. Someone was insisting you need 6 months validity left on a passport before you can travel to france.

For anyone else looking, Specific answer for any country is at
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/

For France:
Entry requirements - Passports
A passport valid for the proposed period of your stay is required for entry to France.

Kiwinyc Fri 11-Sep-09 17:09:50

Thanks PassingThrough. We going to Italy next weekend and DH's (UK) passport expires on 22 Oct. I was pretty sure it would be fine as he's going to wait until we get back to renew but its good to know for sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now