Talk

Advanced search

help me minimalise packing.

(23 Posts)
ilovetochat Thu 18-Jun-09 16:12:03

we are going away at the weekend for a fortnight in wales, we have hired a house and have to take everything.
stairgates.
bedding,
travel cot and bedding for dd (2)
small pushchair.
change mat and potty.
box of food to start us off.
night nappies.
this doesnt leave much room for dds, dps and my clothes.
what is the minimum clothes we could get away with for a fortnight in wales?
there is a washing machine so can do a couple of washes.

AMumInScotland Thu 18-Jun-09 16:23:07

Well, depending on how often you can face the washing machine, you could keep it pretty light! You haven't mentioned towels or teatowels above BTW.

You'll each be wearing trousers/skirt, and presumably whatever you think you'll need in terms of jumper/jacket?

One set of nightwear each, 2 for dd
One set of swimwear/beachwear each
One more trousers/skirt each and/or one pair of shorts each
5 tops each
5 sets of undies each

That gets you through with 2 batches of washing.

Or go up to 7 of each and hope to only need to do one batch...

Assuming you're not planning to go out anywhere that needs DP to wear a jacket and tie, and that you don't mind wearing the same thing 2 or 3 times of course.

ilovetochat Thu 18-Jun-09 16:29:03

im happy to do 2 washes.
i have put bath towels, hand towels, beach towels, tea towels and kitchen hand towels ready.
want to take change of bedding but dont think we have room.
dd normaly has clean pjs every night?
not going anywhere posh, just a fathers day lunch.
i wish i could guarantee the weather.

AMumInScotland Thu 18-Jun-09 16:38:23

A change of bedding for dd is maybe sensible, in case of accidents. But it's probably easier if you can either face two weeks without a change, or whip the covers through the machine on a good hot day and get them back on again in the evening.

I guess I'm forgetting what 2yo's are like - DS had a set each night too at that age. I guess if you do 2 washes, then that makes 5 sets of nightwear for her.

I haven't even really thought about shoes - that's often the tricky bit when you don't know what the weather will be like. You can always throw a jacket over a light top, but you don't want to be stuck in sandals in the rain or boots in a heatwave grin

ilovetochat Thu 18-Jun-09 16:47:35

heatwave grin
the pile of towels and bedding is massive.
half of dds stuff she needs last minute, i cant pack, i give in.

AMumInScotland Thu 18-Jun-09 19:48:30

Ach, just grab handfuls at the last minute, stuff them in the odd corners of the car, and assume there will be shops where anything you end up short of can be acquired grin

ilovetochat Thu 18-Jun-09 20:39:28

ok, i have put the whole of dds wardrobe in grin, do you think dd needs some shoes to paddle in or is barefoot ok?
dp hasnt packed anything for himself and has booked a game of golf tomorrow afternoon? so ive told him im not doing his, ive had enough.
i have had a glass of wine now and trying not to look at the clothes mountain behind me on the spare bed.

AMumInScotland Thu 18-Jun-09 20:42:00

Unless it's very sandy, I'd think some plimsolls or jellies would be a good idea for paddling.

DH can pack his own! Or run the washing machine every day to get his clothes back grin

ilovetochat Thu 18-Jun-09 20:49:04

i wondered about a jelly type shoe, she is a size 5 and there was nothing in her size when i looked down the high street. it is quite sandy in places but i dont want her treading on anything.
i nearly started an aibu about dp booking a last game of golf ^as he wont be able to play for 3 weeks^ but i always get called a control freak there grin so i thought id stick here in this freindly travel thread with you as my special packing helper smile.
dds godfather is scottish and your ach made me smile.

ilovetochat Thu 18-Jun-09 20:49:39

oops my slanty letters didnt work grin

AMumInScotland Fri 19-Jun-09 10:29:57

You'll maybe find more options on paddling shoes when you get there - most seaside places will have loads of that sort of thing in the shops.

If DH wants to play golf, well, he'll just have to fit his packing round that, won't he. Annoying, but just shrug and if he ends up short of stuff because you didn't do it for him then he'll have to consider his priorities!

mrsgboring Fri 19-Jun-09 10:40:41

You can dry a two year old on teatowels, which would reduce the bulk a bit (we have a local water play area so I carry swimmers and teatowel in my change bag so DS can go in on a whim). I wouldn't change PJs every night - just hang them up to air if you're worried. You will be washing sand off DD for the next six months anyway regardless.

I agree paddling shoes are worth it.

Depending on your DD's temperament, you could leave out the travel cot and just take a mattress off one of the beds for her to sleep on on the floor.

mistlethrush Fri 19-Jun-09 11:22:20

We go for a week - but ours goes like this - this for when ds was 2 and a bit.

4 tops/tshirts for dh, same for me. 5 for ds and 2 spare in the car, with spare pants and spare shorts (in case of car sickness). 1 extra pr shorts/trousers/skirt for me and dh, 4 or 5 prs trousers for ds. One extra jumper for dh and me, 2 for ds. 5 sets underwear for all. Nighttime pull-ups for ds. PJs for ds (3 prs - he can normally wear for 2 nights). Waterproofs for all.

Cot mattress (found easier than travel cot) and two sets of bedding. We didn't take a change mat as he had potty trained by 2.2; potty, collapsible step (for reaching sink).

Sandals, wellies, beach shoes for ds(we got some in Dunnes, and another time in Matalan) - sandals and perhaps one other pr shoes for us.

2 drying up cloths, one hand towel for kitchen, 3 bath towels (not sheets) 3 beach towels.

Dog, dog towel, dog duvet, dog bowls, dog food, dog chews.

Suncream, sunhats, sunglasses.

WASHING POWDER - enough for 4 washes scooped into separate bags for ease of use.

We pack quite a few things separately in bags - eg towels - as then you can use the towel to fill gaps, including the footwells in the back of the car - and they'll still be clean when you get there that way.

ilovetochat Fri 19-Jun-09 14:43:46

right, dd has finally gone for a nap. grin
ive ditched the change mat as dd is potty trained, use it at home under the potty and for drying after the bath but can go without it.
we need the travel cot as dd has never slept on a bed and if she got up wondering around she could fall down the single steps between each bedroom.
how does this sound for dd
6 pjs, 7 pants, 7 socks.
2 cot sheets, blanket, 2 towels,
2 swim costumes, poncho.
cardigan, coat, doodles (willbuy paddling shoes there)
3 trousers, 3 long sleeved tops.
3 shorts, 3 short sleeved tops.
3 dresses.
28 nappies (day naps and nights), 2 wipes.

scratchet Fri 19-Jun-09 15:13:24

I always check weather forecast (wunderground usually good) when goin away so i know what to take. Can't say i take any less though blush just in case!! Have fun x

ilovetochat Fri 19-Jun-09 15:32:54

will have a look thanks,

benfmsmum Fri 19-Jun-09 15:37:39

Have you thought of getting some of those vacuum pack type bags, the ones you put your clothes in and then squeeze all the air out of them?? I find them very good when we do the same sort of holiday as you in France.

BTW I live in Wales and I'm sure you are going to have a lovely holiday!!

ilovetochat Fri 19-Jun-09 15:39:51

hows the weather there? we are going to fishguard.

benfmsmum Fri 19-Jun-09 15:45:59

Well I'm fairly near to Swansea and it is changeable today, boiling hot and sunny one minute and cold and cloudy the next but from what I've seen on the forecasts it is meant to be a niceish day tomorrow but then a lovely week next week.

benfmsmum Fri 19-Jun-09 16:00:51

Had to rush that last post as my ds was dropped off by his sn taxi!

I would pop in a jumper for each as it can get cooler on the coast in the evenings.

Towels and bedding are very good to put in the vacuum bags as they shrink down alot. I got mine from matalan but I think Lakeland are doing some dort of deal on them at the moment. Make sure you get the ones you don't need a hoover for though, as chances are there won't be one when you come to pack to go home!!

ilovetochat Fri 19-Jun-09 17:49:55

ooh good hope we have a good fortnight, we go tomorrow.
there is a hoover, its home from home, i keep joking i might not come back.

benfmsmum Fri 19-Jun-09 17:57:13

I hope you have great weather and a great holiday! smile

ilovetochat Fri 19-Jun-09 20:36:59

thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now