Talk

Advanced search

Cheapest train from London to Scotland?

(9 Posts)
babyignoramus Thu 18-Jun-09 13:38:59

My sister and I are thinking of heading to Scotland for a mini-break later this year. We can't fly as my sister hasn't got a passport and I think you need one now for domestic flights for ID?? I have looked at the fares from London to Edinburgh on Virgin and it came to over £200 for a return shock, although these are summer fares as Virgin only book 3 months in advance so I couldn't check anything after that. We are probably going later in the year. Does anyone have any tips for which cheaper train companies and/or ones that book further in advance?

Ta!

janinlondon Thu 18-Jun-09 13:43:24

I think you can use any photo ID for a flight? Drivers' licence? But in answer to your query, Bargain Berths on the trains come as low as £19 pp each way if you can get in there are book it as soon as they come on line. You could share a cabin - bunk beds?

girlylala0807 Thu 18-Jun-09 13:48:25

Im having same problem except im going Edi-Lon,

will keep an eye on this

cloudedyellow Tue 23-Jun-09 13:03:31

I think they all book 3 months in advance. You need to keep looking on Virgin or The Trainline for cheaper fares as soon as they put them up ie beginning of July for September. Sometimes two singles can be cheaper.

cloudedyellow Tue 23-Jun-09 13:12:19

Just looked on the trainline and they will alert you by email when the cheap advance tickets come in.

DadInsteadofMum Wed 24-Jun-09 11:57:40

If you have the time look at where you stop on the way. If travelling from A to B but stopping at C it can sometimes be cheaper to buy seperate tickets from A to C and then C to B. Provided you train stops at C this is perfectly legal and means that you get to take advantage of the ridiculous train pricing system (rather than the other way around)

For clarity - you don't have to get off the train at C!

Aimsmum Wed 24-Jun-09 12:00:51

Message withdrawn

bumsrush Fri 26-Jun-09 23:56:19

Was going to suggest check out mega bus and mega train

BlueChampagne Mon 29-Jun-09 17:09:29

Keep an eye on the bargain berths section of the First Scotrail website. DH and I went to Euston-Fort William, sleeper both ways, when I was pg with DS (2007) for £19 each, each way! I still think there's a bit of magic about the sleeper too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now