Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

any nice not-too-quiet north of england places for a romantic weekend?

(42 Posts)
nailpolish Thu 12-May-05 14:45:28

hi!

me and dh are trying to think of somewhere we can go for a weekend break, just the 2 of us. because its a weekend we dont want to spend too much time travelling, so im thinking newcastle sort of area, not really much more south than that. would ideally like to go somewhere with a train station (i LOVE train journeys!)

any suggestions very welcomed

ps dont want to go anywhere too isolated or quiet

TIA!

nailpolish Thu 12-May-05 14:45:53

forgo to say we would like a nice not-too-small hotel

Yorkiegirl Thu 12-May-05 14:47:00

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Thu 12-May-05 14:48:01

we are north of edinburgh, yorkie. leeds is a good option, thanks. can you recommend a nice hotel? about £80 a night

leahbump Thu 12-May-05 14:48:11

will chase up details of a lovely quay side hotel my friends stayed in when they visited. They reckoned you can ask for a room with a view of the river/ bridges in Newcastle and the new music centre (the sage)........back later

nailpolish Thu 12-May-05 14:49:14

i do like newcastle, but been there hundreds of times, would go back, but would like to go somewhere new for a change

elliott Thu 12-May-05 14:50:01

what about newcastle itself? or Durham? Can't think of anywhere else in the region you could get to by train without hiring a car.
I think there are some nice hotels on the Quayside - Malmaison or Copthorne perhaps?
what do you want to spend your time doing?

elliott Thu 12-May-05 14:51:27

oops ok not newcastle. What about Durham or York (both closer than Leeds)

mancmum Thu 12-May-05 14:51:37

what about York.... loads to do and then you could do HArrogate or walks in countryside...

nailpolish Thu 12-May-05 14:51:57

elliot we want to get some nightlife! maybe not clubs but pubs and good places to have a meal. as i say, been to newcastle! although if i see a nice hotel........

durham is nice too. went there last year.

north england is my fave place.

doesnt have to have a train station. just ideally

nailpolish Thu 12-May-05 14:52:34

york is nice, but i went there for about 15 years with my mum and dad

mancmum Thu 12-May-05 14:56:39

manchester is a fan northern city!

mancmum Thu 12-May-05 14:56:51

but not fab!!

Fio2 Thu 12-May-05 14:56:56

York is lovely, got engaged and honeymooned there guests thought we had gone to NEW YORK

Yorkiegirl Thu 12-May-05 14:57:04

Message withdrawn

Yorkiegirl Thu 12-May-05 14:58:11

Message withdrawn

elliott Thu 12-May-05 15:00:17

errrr, Middlesbrough?! sunderland?? Darlington??
I think you have listed all the half decent places in the NE, if it is city life you are after.
Are you into fancy bijou hotels? Seaham Spa? not much night life locally though!
Harrogate is nice, bit like a mini-york though.
there are train stations at Morpeth and Alnmouth but they are very small....

Babyannabel Thu 12-May-05 15:01:48

I know York is further south than you'd like but it would be very quick on the train, it's a beautiful journey and they have a railway museum!!!

elliott Thu 12-May-05 15:02:44

yep, manchester would have lots to offer but its much further even than leeds. 3hrs from newcastle and I don't think it would be quicker via Glasgow.

nailpolish Thu 12-May-05 15:04:32

manchester is too far. too many boy mishaps in manchester too when i was yf and s.

dont think leeds is an option now, have to change at edin and york on the train, too much faffing

might have a look again at york, or newcastle

nailpolish Thu 12-May-05 15:07:09

thanks for that great link yorkie

elliott Thu 12-May-05 15:09:40

There are direct trains from newcastle to Leeds, takes about 2 hrs, so might be worth checking again whether you can do it.

nailpolish Thu 12-May-05 15:15:47

we will be travelling from dundee, so still have to change at edinburgh and newcastle! dh says he likes york but he took all his other girlfriends there! (why has he never taken me?) anyway...

any nice hotels in newcastle then??!!

elliott Thu 12-May-05 15:18:02

I'm not the person to ask, having never had to stay here but I mentioned malmaison on the quayside. Try a search of archived threads too as I think there have been previous discussions.

nailpolish Thu 12-May-05 15:20:09

cheers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now