Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

calling any mners that live/know crete/greece v well

(13 Posts)
Heathcliffscathy Thu 12-May-05 13:30:25

going next week. will be near chania on akrotiri peninsula so:

can i get pampers easy up nappies (i'm sure this is a yes)

any recommendations for places to eat, beaches, things to do

there was something else, but my post preg brain doesn't function...

GRMUM Thu 12-May-05 13:55:51

pampers yes Recommendations _ i'll have a think - was there about 3 years ago. How many children and what ages? Was it you who asked about sheep/goats milk?

Heathcliffscathy Fri 13-May-05 14:07:17

yes it was. apparently that is no problem. one child ds 18 months

thanks grmum

Milly1968 Fri 13-May-05 21:00:54

Sophable - I think I remember you saying, on an earlier thread, that you were going with Simply Crete. We went to the same place as you are going to last year, and if the the SC rep is the same one we had he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. He will give you masses of info about restaurants, beaches and other things to do. There are lots of nice places to eat in Hania. We had a few long lunches there while the children were in the creche. We also did a couple of long walks, can provide you with more info if you're interested.

Have a great time. I wish we were going back there this year!

Heathcliffscathy Sun 15-May-05 20:52:33

oh yes milly, any info v helpful, apparently there is an INKA supermarket between chania and where we're staying (akrotiri)?

i hope that the rep is the same, sounds great...do let me know any other tips i'd be so grateful

Heathcliffscathy Mon 16-May-05 13:26:00

just thought i'd bump this for milly and anyone else that can give me any tips...

GRMUM Mon 16-May-05 14:06:20

Sophable I can't remember any specific places to recommend for food. Will you have a car ? You might find that not all tavernas are open because it's just the beginning of the season.I'll try to look up some beaches for you.

Heathcliffscathy Mon 16-May-05 14:09:27

yes to car. v excited as leaving tomorrow. sorry if i'm being totally crap, but do you think they'll have pampers easyups or equiv.....i could take enough for the week, but don't want to, and as ds is quite an allergic little soul, i don't want to risk a brand change (yes i know, i should be using non-disposables, and i promise i'm going to look into it when we get back )

GRMUM Mon 16-May-05 14:25:50

Don't worry - they would all look at you as if you were bonkers here for using washables!!! You will find pampers easy ups but may have to go into Hania to a bigger supermarket than those you find at Akrotiri. Don't worry though as its not far.Beaches i'll look now and post again.

Its warm and sunny here today so Crete must be great temperature wise.

GRMUM Mon 16-May-05 14:51:32

Beaches Kalathas is nice and shallow for kids. All the small towns west of Hania are tourist resorts but don't let this put you off because at this time of the year they won't be busy.South coast is lovly as is the far west coast.Agios Nikolas to the east is a lovely town but no beach that i can remember.There is a good main road running right across the top of crete. If you go on it remember that Greeks have a habit of overtaking from the inside and the outside!. If they beep at you IGNORE or beep back! Are you taking a car seat with you? If you go to Knossos go for opening time 8.00 am as it gets very hot there as there is no shade.Very interesting though! Take a sunshade for the buggy.Have a really wonderful time. anything else just ask.

Nome Mon 16-May-05 15:17:56

We stayed in the Lefteris with Simply Crete last May and had a brilliant time. You can't miss the INKA supermarket. As you come from the Akrotiri, it's on the main road, on a roundabout just past the university. When you see the students hitchhiking, you're very close!

Nome Mon 16-May-05 15:32:56

Yes, Kalathas lovely. We also spent a day at Elafonissi - gorgeous beach with pink tinged sand. We managed Knossos, but it wasn't pushchair friendly and dh carried ds round. We had lunch in Chania most days and a picnic meal in our villa in the evenings. Loads of nice places to eat in Chania, the rep recommended a really nice open-air indoor courtyard one just off the harbour (was a house, but now just has trees and awning instead of a roof). Lovely and shady and good with toddlers. Name escapes me completely now (pg brian) The lady who runs the creche is really nice and we left ds there for two mornings and went back to bed... We just booked into the creche when we arrived. I wish I were going to Crete tomorrow. I wouls book ds and dh into the creche and just spend the week swanning around on my own...

PollyLogos Sun 26-Jun-05 13:20:22

Sophable how was your holiday? I do hope you had a good time. (ex GRMUM)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now