Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions needed for a good childfriendly place to go for a large group, preferably abroad, on a budget

(18 Posts)
Eddas Wed 17-Jun-09 17:43:54

Ok, so we're looking ahead to next summer, ideally school holidays but realistically June (yes I know taking children out of school is a no no, but they are in the infants so i'd make an acception!) I'd love to go for 2 weeks but maybe 1 is more realistic(see budget below!)

There will be lots of us, 17 potentially, 10 adults and 7 children. Children range from 3 to 7. Families breakdown, 3 families of 4 a family of 3 and a childfree couple.

I'm open to any suggestions, villa/apartment etc and any country really, but preferably abroad, although i'm not opposed to a cottage type holiday somewhere nice in England. The options are vast so i'd like to narrow them down.

The type of holiday we'd like is beach/pool, maybe a bit of entertainment, but only if you want it. Although i'd happily take a cd player and let the kids make their own disco if we could have a villa grin but then again i'd be open to a more rural holiday where we can wear the kids out. Actually thinking about it we're quite open about the type of holiday!

So does anyone have any experience of booking for a large group and any suggestions of where to go?

Oh and finally budget, well pretty small tbh, £1,000-£1,500ish. I know I might be being unrealistic!

TIAsmile

Aimsmum Wed 17-Jun-09 17:50:07

Message withdrawn

Eddas Wed 17-Jun-09 17:53:25

oops! yes that's per family! I think i'd be really pushing it for all 17blush

Fimbo Wed 17-Jun-09 17:56:32

The May half term holiday is actually in June next year (well for Norfolk anyway), so you may not end up having to take them out of school.

I am looking for the same period but the 2010 brochures beyond April are not out yet and you can't get a price because flights are not yet finalised.

eandh Wed 17-Jun-09 17:59:35

lol I thought someone had the same 'find a holiday' question as we were discussing and then pmsl that it was you!!

I am going to do some googling later when dd1 asleep (which could be some time wink)

Aimsmum Wed 17-Jun-09 18:00:20

Message withdrawn

Eddas Wed 17-Jun-09 18:04:41

grin thanks aimsmum will look once terrors dc are in bed

<<<waves>>> hi eandh I like to consult mn on all lifes matterswinkgrin

Eddas Wed 17-Jun-09 18:06:06

fimbo, i really ought to look at the term times first, need my friend to get her dh to look into uni term times too(yeah right!) might see if I can find them out too

Rindercella Wed 17-Jun-09 18:13:35

What about the MN favourite, Mousses in Lefkas, Greece? You may be able to do it for less than £1500 per family. But it might just be abit more than that for a family of 5, depending on when you go. We went early - mid May and it was about £1500 for us - DD is still an infant, but that was for 2 weeks.

It is very basic rustic, but the grounds are lovely, as is the pool.

eandh Wed 17-Jun-09 18:41:18

this looked nice apart from we need another 2 apartments to fit everyone in sad

eandh Wed 17-Jun-09 18:44:48

this would fit us in all in and have our own 'front door' iygwim

JuliaL Thu 18-Jun-09 11:05:43

Hi Tia,

Just a couple of Turkish options for you to ponder. I've had www.alanya-holidays.com bookmarked for ages. The villas look wonderful and a great place to chill out on a group holiday. The villas are all slightly different, so you need to plough through the descriptions. Their rental costs are really reasonable in May/June - between £600 and £900 per week. Flying into Alanya from Gatwick, you'd be looking at £200 per head approx return.

Or you could take advantage of the budget flights with easyjet flying from Gatwick into both Bodrum and Dalaman. These cost £70-80 return this year for early bookers. Vast range of places to go. Apartments on complexes with a good range of facilites can be rented from approx £150 pw and up according to location. Plenty of scope to get lots of adjacent apartments. Certainly well within budget even for a 2 week stay.

Enjoy your search (nice problem to have!)

KarenG Wed 24-Jun-09 00:43:00

This is our place, it could easily accommodate you all. www.the-cleeve.co.uk. Sandy beaches within a short drive and pebbly ones walkable. Situated in the lovely Exmoor national park, in a village with local amenities.

1dilemma Thu 25-Jun-09 01:42:38

wow Karen that's some house!

Leslaki Sat 27-Jun-09 16:19:49

here here!

roisin Sat 27-Jun-09 16:29:46

Wow Karen! That's an amazing property.

Oneandnomore Sat 27-Jun-09 22:11:04

We stayed at the hotel Sol Mirlos Tordos in Palma Nova, Majorca (sorry can't do links)last summer and are going back this year. It's a Flintstone themed hotel and the children loved it, hence our return trip!

It is about 5 mins from the beach. Also, the pools are lovely, there is a new childrens pool. It is quite noisy at night, but we didn't really hear much once in our room.

We paid £1300 this year for 2 adults and 1 child for a week all inclusive.

KateFletch Sun 28-Jun-09 09:59:07

Might be a tad on the expensive side but Hotel Xanadu in Belek Turkey is a good hassle free option. It's all inclusive and has everything you need. They do a kids buffet and the adult version would satisfy even the fussy eaters, there is a lot of choice. Pools are good with slides etc. good kids club included, beach on site as well. Good value for money as the price you pay includes everything, flights, accomodation, transfers, food, they even do your laundry! The other advantage with a group of you is that you each at least have your own space and bathroom. We booked through Thomas Cook.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now