Talk

Advanced search

Are we being stupid or just game?!

(6 Posts)
narmada Wed 17-Jun-09 13:51:49

Hello everyone,

My partner and 14 month old daughter are planning to go to Sweden for our holidays in August. I've seen a cottage on a small island in the stockholm skerries, accesible only by a boat with an outboard (it's across a stretch of water, only about 200 meters from a town with shops etc). The house has direct frontage onto the water (from a small beach, not a pontoon). I am just wondering about the safety aspect of it all. Obviously, water nearby and small children is a slightly concerning combination! Also, how on earth our little one would be for the short boat transfer, I don't know. I think she would be so stunned she would sit still.... but who knows.

We would never ever leave her to toddle off around the property, but still, would you consider a holiday like this or are we being a bit daft? Has anyone ever done anything similar with little ones?

I woul really appreciate your thoughts.
Narmada

HuffwardlyRudge Wed 17-Jun-09 13:54:06

I would do it. Some people live on boats with children. If you're prepared to be vigilent then there won't be a problem. At 14 months you'll be watching her the whole time wherever you go on holiday, so go wherever you fancy.

Overmydeadbody Wed 17-Jun-09 13:56:57

It's not daft as long as you supervise her all the time.

Lots of people live on waterfronts, or on boats with small children.

It sounds amazing.

NorbertDentressangle Wed 17-Jun-09 14:00:27

Agree with Huffwardly -wherever you go, at that age you'll have to watch her like a hawk anyway.

I would go but I'd make sure DP is fully aware that he'd be doing his fair-share of the "watching like a hawk" too.

narmada Wed 17-Jun-09 14:12:28

Hey, brilliant guys! I'm glad you don't think I'm mad. DP is very good at doing his share, thank god. So I reckon we will go for it.

blowbroth Wed 17-Jun-09 14:19:31

Definitely go for it. We have access to a similar boat in the summer holidays and have been 'ferrying' our dd around since she was 9 months. There are life jackets around for little ones.
I hope you have a lovely time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now