Talk

Advanced search

Eglinton Arms Hotel, Eaglesham, Glasgow. Been there, know of it??

(26 Posts)
snigger Tue 16-Jun-09 16:42:44

Is it a dive?

Please say its not.

Cheap overnight stay booked there and I just wondered...

Thanks in advance smile

namechangerforareason Tue 16-Jun-09 16:52:58

Not been but judging by website dont look too shabby!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 16-Jun-09 17:02:23

Haven't been there, but it's not far from me - and I think they're being a bit disingenuous claiming to be in "Glasgow". hmm Hope you're not looking for a city break!

Aimsmum Tue 16-Jun-09 17:05:08

Message withdrawn

snigger Tue 16-Jun-09 17:22:55

Just after somewhere to lay our middle aged doubtless drunken weary heads after a night with Take That grin

You've put the wind up me with the 'not in Glasgow' stuff! AA routeplanner reckons 6-7 miles from there to Hampden Park - will this be a kings ransom by taxi? Do I have to offer myself up as sacrificial designated driver again?

<thanks for the answers, btw>

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 16-Jun-09 17:27:12

Hmm, don't often use Glasgow taxis but it is out of town - negotiate a fee up front?

Aimsmum Tue 16-Jun-09 17:48:38

Message withdrawn

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 16-Jun-09 18:01:40

Except there's no railway station in Eaglesham.

Aimsmum Tue 16-Jun-09 18:05:00

Message withdrawn

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 16-Jun-09 18:10:54

But you can get a bus - the number 44 from First. You can get more information here.

snigger Tue 16-Jun-09 18:15:41

If I CAT either of you after midnight on Friday with some sob story about missing my bus and there being no taxis, please don't hold it against me grin

Will check out the bus site, and next time I'll book a city centre hotel in good time!

Aimsmum Tue 16-Jun-09 18:21:17

Message withdrawn

snigger Tue 16-Jun-09 18:31:48

Thanks for the keys - I'll apologise to your neighbour for the sick in the garden and for trying to break into their house in the morning wink

Ta for the journey planner link, very useful - Hairmyres train station is 2 miles from the hotel, and there are trains in and out at appropriate times - even we should manage not to get kicked out of a cab over a 2 mile journey grin

Thanks again for the local knowledge.

namechangerforareason Tue 16-Jun-09 18:34:26

Yeah from Hampden to Eaglesham will incur a boundary charge in a taxi! Deffo negotiate upfront if getting taxi.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 16-Jun-09 21:09:16

Bear in mind that Central Station in Glasgow (don't go to Queen Street!) is three and a half miles from Hampden Park - a fair walk.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 16-Jun-09 21:16:11

And it's 20 - 30 minutes on the bus!

But of course you'll be going to Crossmyloof, which is just a mile and a half away. blush

Aimsmum Tue 16-Jun-09 21:24:53

Message withdrawn

cheeseytoastie Tue 16-Jun-09 21:39:10

Don't get a train to Hairmyres, it's just a wee station! It's also only private taxis about this area so you can't just get in one, they have to be booked. My local company is Eastwood Mearns on 0141 644 5353 and they would pick you up somewhere near Hampden park and take you to Eaglesham, might be about a tenner? Girl on the phone could tell you. They also do people carriers if there's a few of you.

geordieminx Tue 16-Jun-09 21:45:45

Easglesham is a nice wee village - quite posh actually.

Shouldnt cost more than £10-£15 in a taxi, might be worth booking one once you get to the hotel, although I have heard horror stories of it taking 2 hours to get out of take that concert in Sunderland and out of car park shock

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 16-Jun-09 21:49:48

Aha, people with more local knowledge than mine! grin

seb1 Tue 16-Jun-09 21:50:30

Go against the flow into town, get a train to Whitecraigs or Patterton (a bit quiet) and phone a taxi from there.

snigger Tue 16-Jun-09 21:52:33

Multiple shock at the exit time - hadn't factored that in at all!

Mount Florida/Hairmyres was my route of choice, but now I have a reliable (wink - ie, I'm so blaming you for any drama) taxi number from cheesetoastie, I may put that to the contingent and see what the majority decision is.

<<waltzes off humming Relight My Fire, badly>>

bumsrush Tue 16-Jun-09 23:10:27

It won't take long to get out of the Stadium itself. Just make sure you know what direction to head when you com out and don't just follow everyone grin.

I would maybe get some quotes from private taxis and get them to pick you up somewhere near to the stadium but not right beside it. But if you book a cab and get the train intime you could get picked up at hairmyres

If getting the train check check and double check the times of the trains, becasue the time you get out of the stadium and get to the station will have to be factored in.

cheeseytoastie Wed 17-Jun-09 12:17:33

Sorry, spilt coke on my laptop last night and killed it off hence the sudden exit!

I'd been going to recommend you ask the company to pick you up outside Hytec Hyundai (postcode is G42 9JD for Google mapping). It's close by but easier for you to find taxi etc. Eastwood Mearns also do a thing where they text you the car registration once the taxi is waiting on you, nice and safe!

i really can't recommend the train at all, Mt Florida station will be rammed and your nearest station on the line to Hairmyres is really quite far (Crossmyloof), would take you at least 30 mins to walk. if we ever do it (and I'm at least near Whitecraigs!) we walk down to Cathcart station cos it's quieter.

have fun!

snigger Sat 20-Jun-09 19:36:30

Just wanted to come back on and say a huge thank you for all your advice.

I've lost my voice, my feet still hurt, and we had the best time!

Thanks again. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now