Talk

Advanced search

Shade for baby on the beach...

(13 Posts)
KiwiPanda Tue 16-Jun-09 12:59:29

Does anyone have any advice/ recommendations for shade on the beach for babies? I need something that will give DD wriggle room (she's a rolly-polly little 6 month old) and provide enough shade for me to feed her if necessary but also not be too heavy/ take up the entire suitcase???

TheDevilWearsYFronts Tue 16-Jun-09 13:00:50

A pop up UV tent will do the trick.

KiwiPanda Tue 16-Jun-09 13:16:52

Can you recommend a good, very portable one??

georgiemum Tue 16-Jun-09 13:21:49

We got ours from 'perfectly happy people'. Make sure you get one that is UV and not just a play tent.

http://www.thebabycatalogue.com/Pop-Up-Uv-Tent/productinfo/BW2195/

Pinkjenny Tue 16-Jun-09 13:23:01

The only note of caution I would urge you to consider with the pop up tents are that they are absolutely boiling inside. We took one for dd last year, she sat in it for five nimutes and came out with a big red face. Although watching dh trying to 'pop' it back down was one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life, ending in him kicking it around the poolside in frustration.

Pinkjenny Tue 16-Jun-09 13:23:30

minutes

TheDevilWearsYFronts Tue 16-Jun-09 13:24:31

we have tis

But most are very portable.

TheDevilWearsYFronts Tue 16-Jun-09 13:25:21

Pink jenny I always put mine up so the entrance faced the breeze.

Blu Tue 16-Jun-09 13:28:52

Having taken DS to Mauritius on and off since he was a baby, I have always sat under a tree, as they give a little protection from the heat as well as sun. The pop-up tents do indeed get boiling and sticky inside.

Find a spot that has a tree or some other natural shade, if you can.

Pinkjenny Tue 16-Jun-09 13:29:15

Y'see DWY - I'm just not that logical. grin Ours was kicked into obscurity.

Haribolicious Tue 16-Jun-09 13:36:56

We do the same as TheDevilWearsYFronts and it works quite well (love the new name BTW grin!) DS is now 2.8 and still loves to sit inside as a playtent - good for naps on the beach too. Agree that it is very portable but you do need to practice 'popping' it back into it's little bag otherwise you will be getting rather frustrated on the beach!

KiwiPanda Tue 16-Jun-09 13:42:07

yes I wondered if they would get very hot, like a small convection oven, I imagine! Trees/ natural shelter would clearly be best but apparently where we are going there isn't any hmm - we're going for a wedding so didn't deliberately chose a non baby-friendly location, lest you think I'm very stupid blush

Kiwinyc Tue 16-Jun-09 15:46:33

just get one with mesh windows, we got one that folded up to the size of a large dinner plate from M&S.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now