Talk

Advanced search

Airport check in advice

(14 Posts)
evansmummy Sat 13-Jun-09 17:38:01

I never fly and am really confused about check ins for our flight to France next week.

I booked online with Ryanair and it was cheaper to do web check in, so that's what I opted for. Now I understnad the concept, I check in online before getting to the aiport. But we have hold baggage, which presumably needs to be checked in anyway, so what do I do? Do I still check in online then check my baggage in once I get to the aaiprort?

Also, we're flying from Stanstead to France, how long before my flight should we aim to arrive at the airport?
TIA

bellavita Sat 13-Jun-09 17:41:52

I have only checked in online with Virgin, but when we get to the airport, there is usually a section for online check-in - tis very quick.

Not sure how long you have to arrive before the flight but I know it is less than if you are doing a manual check-in.

canny Sat 13-Jun-09 17:51:38

All Airport Kiosks and Bag Drop desks open 2 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure time and close strictly 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure time.

That's from an email I got 2 days ago. I'm sure you got the same!

evansmummy Sat 13-Jun-09 17:54:16

I did, but Stansted airport website says you must check in 2 hours prior to departure while my emails say nothing of the sort. I'm just confused. Can I get there an hour before then?

canny Sat 13-Jun-09 18:04:18

Yeah, they probably mean if you don't get in online.
Even if you've not checked in online I normally wouldn't get there any earlier than an hour and half before. So an hour should be ok, I'd probably allow more if it was school holidays though. smile

canny Sat 13-Jun-09 18:09:28

Sorry just seen you say you don't really fly. Do you know Stanstead at all? Just make sure you are def at the right terminal (assume they have more than 1) as if you've made a mistake then an hour not long to rectify it. In that time you'll have to drop your bags and go through security - still separate liquids. You wouldn't have much duty free time as they ask for you to go to your gate about half an hour before you depart so they can start boarding. If that's ok with you then an hour should be fine.

evansmummy Sat 13-Jun-09 18:49:25

I have flown from there once, a while ago. From what I remember, there's only one terminal, isn't there? I think I'll leave an hour and a half just to be sure. I am such a nervous traveller.

Thanks all, for your advice

evansmummy Sat 13-Jun-09 18:53:19

What about a packed lunch, can I take that through security? I'm desperate to keep costs down.

KnickKnack Sat 13-Jun-09 19:15:43

you can take food through security...but not liquids.

Last time I flew with ryan air you could only check in online if you had hand luggage only.
I would go there 2 hrs in advance just to be sure...time will fly.

evansmummy Mon 15-Jun-09 19:40:03

Just wanted to say thank you all. Helped put my mind at rest to ask questions and get answers. I think I know what I'm doing now!

DadInsteadofMum Wed 17-Jun-09 13:11:36

There is only one terminal at Stansted so need to worry about that.

They have also got security running very smoothly (at last) so even if there is a long queue it will move quickly.

Make sure you have printed off your boarding cards before you leave and take them with you. Ryanair will charge you if they have to reprint at the airport.

You go to the Ryanair section of checkin and look for the fast bag drop desk, there they will label and process your bags for you as normal. They are very strict about closing the bag checkin 40 mins before departure, I have seen people turned away.

Go through security (liquids in their own bag) and into the main terminal area, if you want food, drink newspapers get it here as there isn't much once you get to the gate area.

When about 45 mins before the flight leave this area to go to the gate area this is either a walk or a ride on the shuttle train.

When you get to the gate there will be two queues one for priority boarding (extra cost) and one for normal people, if you are travelling with kids stick one adult in the queue now (let them get on board and save seats for the rest of the family) and wait for the flight to be boarded. Ryanair do not prioritise families with small children.

Stansted is a lot less hassle than some of the bigger airport (i.e. Heathrow).

Have a great trip.

saltcod Fri 26-Jun-09 11:28:57

Very helpful... thank you

berkeley Tue 30-Jun-09 16:45:42

All this is so helpful. Ryanair now seem to do online check-in for everyone, including those with bags to check in though it sounds as though this is a recent change.

Bucharest Tue 30-Jun-09 16:55:43

Yes, it is, I just got my online check-in done, for flight on Friday....I think Ryanair are only doing online check in now, or at least they are from my departure airport...
Even though Stansted has speeded up its security bit (I have arrived there with more than 2 hrs to go before and still been in the sodding queues with less than 30 mins to go) it can still take a while to get from that bit to the Ryanair gates- Ryanair like to have you walk out to the planes wherever possible to make it easier for their turnaround times.
I always get there about 2 and a half hours prior to take off, make sure I'm one of the first to drop my stuff, then stand around laughing at the people who still haven't realised that when Ryanair say 15 kilos they do not mean 15 kilos and 1 nanogram. Oh no.....grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now