Talk

Advanced search

Need holiday advice, package or not, last minute? Help!

(12 Posts)
Bumperlicioso Thu 11-Jun-09 19:38:44

We are considering our first holiday in 3 years. We potentially have about £800 to spend on 2 adults and a toddler.

We wanted to go to a greek island and after much trawling I have found this or www.ownersdirect.co.uk/greece/GR120.htm. The problem is flights are really expensive, well IMO, since the last time I went away they are! We are looking at another £400 for flights on top of £400 for a villa. So I have several questions:

1. DD will be 2yr3m, all the websites seem to have a cut off of 2yrs for a toddler to have their own seat. Is their any flexibility in this? It would save us £150 if she could sit on our lap.
2. Is this as good as we are going to get for £800?
3. Should we wait and go last minute and go anywhere? Will we get much more for our money?

Packages don't look much cheaper and seem to be all resort type hotels which I was really trying to avoid. Not sure what to do. We have this money as a treat but I didn't think it would be this expensive (last holiday was 2 weeks in Sorrento, Rome and Tuscany on honeymoon which I managed to do for £1000 for the both of us.) Should I just forget about the holiday and put the money to better use (paying off debts sad?)

LIZS Thu 11-Jun-09 19:50:12

All over 2's have to have their own seat , it is standard airline regulations so will not vary. Bear in mind that if you book separate flights and accommodation you will only be covered by ATOL for the airline part. So if the company goes under you won't have any fall back should it also affect the costs for accommodation , car hire etc. With a package you are covered by ABTA and ATOL guarantees for these as well as your travel insurance.

oranges Thu 11-Jun-09 19:53:14

Look at holidays in Lastminute.com. I don't think I can link to it, but type in beach holidays in Greece. There are resprts, but the look nice - the cheapest was a self catering apartment and in your budget.

Your dd will need a seat - the airline will not budge, on that. sorry.

Bumperlicioso Thu 11-Jun-09 20:34:26

Thanks for the tips, gutting about the seats, she will only be 3 months over 2!

LIZS Thu 11-Jun-09 20:45:33

if you fly out while child is under 2 but they turn 2 before return you usually still pay both ways ! tbh you don't really want a tot on your lap for 3-4 horus anyway.

MissSunny Thu 11-Jun-09 23:23:44

Message withdrawn

scratchet Sat 13-Jun-09 09:52:48

Hi there, i always go into the travel agents to see what is available then i shop around other travel agents for price match etc. It is sometimes worth pricing for 3 adults rather than 2 adults 1 child as underoccupancy fees can add loads to total cost. Greece is gorgeous and i can't think of a better way to spend money! Have fun x

buktus Sat 13-Jun-09 22:25:12

Try James villas we have come back from cyrpus 5 of us and it was £829,villa and flights i booked it 2 days before we went

buktus Sat 13-Jun-09 22:34:25

james villa late cyprus deals

buktus Sat 13-Jun-09 22:35:14

whoops try again

buktus Sat 13-Jun-09 22:37:14

www.jamesvillas.co.uk/villa.cfm?villa_id=2375&CTA=villa_image

Kiwinyc Sun 14-Jun-09 12:44:12

Hmmm i might go about it the other way around - find some cheap flights first and then look for accommodation. Unfortunately budget airlines don't tend to fly to Greece, - Spain and Portugal are more likely. But you can get Villa's relatively cheaply there too.

Yes you will have to pay for a seat for a 2yo there is no getting around that unless you go before they turn 2. (And they have to still be aged 2 on the return flight)

Thomson & Thomas Cook do charters to Lefkas however, have you checked fares with them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now