Talk

Advanced search

Can I fly with...

(20 Posts)
Wuxiapian Wed 10-Jun-09 12:54:01

Food?

Sausages/bacon, for example, for my friend in Switzerland?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

CHOOGIRL Wed 10-Jun-09 20:36:54

You can fly with food in the EU. Although I seem to recall when I last went to Switzerland they did sell bacon and sausages there grin

buktus Wed 10-Jun-09 20:38:57

you are not allowed oto fly with meat or dairy products even in the eu

CMOTdibbler Wed 10-Jun-09 20:41:44

Yes, you can - see here for details

buktus Wed 10-Jun-09 20:46:41

must be difference for cyprus or maybe thats just the airline rules i flew with monarch

Tambajam Wed 10-Jun-09 20:46:52

You can fly with meat and dairy products from EU to EU countries.
http://europa.eu/abc/travel/shop/index_en.htm#products
However Switzerland is not an EU country so I'm not sure. I'm going to guess as they are part of EFTA etc it's fine as well.

buktus Wed 10-Jun-09 20:51:30

switzerland is in the eu but cyprus hasexclusions even though it is in the eu jsut lookedd on DEFRA

Tambajam Wed 10-Jun-09 21:00:11

When did Switzerland join the EU????? I missed that.

Wuxiapian Thu 11-Jun-09 02:38:39

Switzerland is not in the EU.

RoseOfTheOrient Thu 11-Jun-09 02:48:10

meat and processed meats are prohibited for Switzerland see here

Wuxiapian Thu 11-Jun-09 21:43:42

Think I'm going to risk it.

Shall pack in luggage for hold.

Thanks for all responses.

MissSunny Thu 11-Jun-09 22:53:19

Message withdrawn

swissmiss Thu 11-Jun-09 22:58:25

was wondering when Switzerland had joined the EU! wasn't the case when I can back last week. Tbh, it's not worth risking it imo.

What sausages is she after? I think the Swiss do much nices sausages that anything you can get here! And in spite of my user name I've spent more of my life in UK than in Switz and would love to be able to get some Cervelat over here! Can't she get any "Brat Speck", that's what my Mum uses, sliced a little thinner that what you get here but very tasty.

Wuxiapian Fri 12-Jun-09 00:34:30

Hmm... differing opinions.

But what about CMOTdibbler's link?

Swissmiss, her request was: "Can you bring some succulent sausages and British bacon?". I nipped down to Sainsbury's earlier and grabbed some "Taste the difference" stuff.

Next issue. My friend'll be late picking me up from airport, so once I've got my luggage, where the heck can I go to get a coffee/something stronger?

Will the bars/restuarants accept my Brit ££s?

Much thanks again.

Hoping for some help as I leave for trip 0930 today. Cripes.

Wuxiapian Fri 12-Jun-09 00:55:04

That's Geneva Cointrin airport. Tut.

swissmiss Fri 12-Jun-09 08:02:21

Sorry no ideas on Geneva Cointrin, never arrived there.

I wouldn't bother paying in Brit ££, you'll get a seriously crap rate (if they'll even take them), I'd get some cash out of a ATM once you're there as lots of shops don't take Maestro or Visa Debit, just their local Postcard/Eurocard version and plenty still don't touch credit cards!

Have fun.

Wuxiapian Fri 12-Jun-09 08:07:08

I have a Maestro, swissmiss.

So, at an ATM, it'll automatically exchange my ££s to SFr?

Thanks for your help.

swissmiss Fri 12-Jun-09 13:43:44

Sorry I missed you, had to take kids to school. Not quite, you can stick your Maestro into the ATM and get local currency cash out. Or take your ££ to the bank counter to exchange them to SFR.

mumof2222222222222222boys Fri 12-Jun-09 14:09:25

not directly relevant but DH was recently hauled off at a Chilean airport (in front of his very senior boss), given a dressing down, threatened with all sorts of dire consequences...and then fined $40.

All because he had an apple in his bag that he'd forgotton about. Probably came from Chile in the first place.

swissmiss Sun 05-Jul-09 00:31:58

Wux - hope you had a nice trip and your friend enjoyed the bangers!

Was just surfing and came across these sausages from Migros (large supermarket) on-line shop. Thought you might want to pass it on to your friend. I'm going to send it to my Mum and brother too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now