Talk

Advanced search

What's STOCKHOLM like? Anyone been?

(11 Posts)
teeavee Tue 10-May-05 12:55:43

I'm going to Stockholm for a long weekend 23 June.
There's meant to be midsummer celebrations at that time I think.
Have any mnetters been to Stockholm?
I would really appreciate any recommendations for things to do while we're there (just me and my partner, first time away without our son)

Thanks

koalabear Tue 10-May-05 12:57:39

can recommend hiring a tandem bike and riding around the park

can recommend NOT getting drunk, bouncing up and down on the bed, and breaking it in half

ahhhh, memories

teeavee Tue 10-May-05 13:01:01

Thanks! we'll be staying with friends, so not too much bouncing I'm afraid!

what park is that then - must be big if you need a tandem to get round it
quite like that idea actually....

koalabear Tue 10-May-05 13:04:54

gosh, it was a couple of years ago - hard to miss if i remember as it goes along the canals (which you can get a boat ride on too) right in the middle of town - we went with another couple who also had a tandem bike, and had races trying to push each other into the canals - hysterical at the time (but probably quite amusing for onlookers) - the "old city" was lovely to walk through too and look in the little shops

teeavee Tue 10-May-05 13:26:37

how expensive is it?
I'm worried we won't be able to afford eating out etc, as we're on a really tight budget

heard that beer/wine is really expensive, for example...?

koalabear Tue 10-May-05 13:29:11

yes, alcohol very expensive - best to take it with you (we bought it at the airport) - mind you, that might have contributed to the bed problem

as for the other things, don't really remember - sorry - food was ok I think, and renting the bikes was quite cheap

Chandra Tue 10-May-05 13:34:16

I went during Midsommar someyears ago, try to see as much as possible before the day as most places close during the holiday. Midsommar day is a day to be out in a park looking at all these happy people wearing those nice flower crowns. Don't worry about getting drunk, you will get sober when you see the bill

I particularly liked the modern art museum and the Vasa Museum. There's also an open air museum of houses that is great (And lots and lots of lovely interior design shops). So is the hall where the Nobel prizes are given.

teeavee Tue 10-May-05 13:38:02

ooh, thanks, looking forward to getting something Swedish for the house that isn't IKEA!and thanks for the tip wbout buying alcohol at the airport - will certainly do that

Chandra Tue 10-May-05 13:53:25

PS. I did alsowent to pay my respects at the IKEA shrine. I wanted to see a real swedish IKEA. I liked mine better .

swedishmum Tue 10-May-05 19:42:03

Hi!
I've been living in the centre of Stockholm since October but unfortunately I'm going back to the UK in 3 weeks - I love it here. There's so much to do. For a weekend I'd probably recommend a trip out to the archipelago - Fjardaholmarna is nice and close by with a good restaurant, djurgarden(probably the park mentioned - you can hire bikes just over the bridge and either head east or travel round the island - and go to Skansen(the outdoor museum), Vasa museum and Grunelund if you like funfairs. Eating is not as expensive as we thought - though we do tend to stick to one bottle of wine these days!! If you want some specific restaurant ideas please cat me - dh was travelling here for work for ages before we came here so he knows loads. Wine is about £6.00 a bottle for a bottle of decent Rioja for eg, but spirits are much worse value for money. In a restaurant I guess we pay about £16 for a not bad bottle of wine. Off licenses are stange - shut at 7 and not open Sat from 3 or Sunday. We're used to it now but did find it strange if we suddenly wanted a bottle of wine on a Saturday night.
If you have any particulat Qs ask me on here or CAT me and I'll try to help. Best tourist website - www.stockholmtown.se

Enjoyx

teeavee Thu 12-May-05 12:30:38

wow, thanks, that sounds great.
will cat you re. restaurants

what's the weather like this time of year, similar to UK, or cooler?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now