Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Manchester?

(22 Posts)
alicatsg Tue 10-May-05 11:23:16

Pref something romantic/stylish and not child friendly for DH and I to celebrate 10 year anniversary and first night away from DS ever....

Tried Malmaison and its fully booked....

Also anyone know any good adult restaurants in central Manchester?

Thanks

Mothernature Tue 10-May-05 11:27:48

Manchester Hotel Guide Have a good time....

Gobbledigook Tue 10-May-05 11:29:10

Radisson Edwardian is nice! Stayed there for Valentines - no kids there!

Gobbledigook Tue 10-May-05 11:29:48

And it's nicer than Malmaison imo. Our room in Malmaison was freezing and very sparse. Radisson is 'trendy' but cosy at the same time I think.

WideWebWitch Tue 10-May-05 11:32:18

I stayed at 11 Disdsbury Park recently on business and liked it. Stylish definitely, and not child friendly I'd ahve thought. The sister hotel looks nice too although I haven't stayed there. And although it's not central there are plenty of restaurants/bars v nearby.

WideWebWitch Tue 10-May-05 11:33:16

Or The Lowry? haven't stayed there though but do a search here, feel sure people have commented here.

alicatsg Tue 10-May-05 12:09:10

this is why I love Mumsnet.

Has anyone been to the Alias? looks a bit germanic and over trendy and has been recommended by a 22 year old, skinny hipped infant who works with me. Is it suitable for adults I wonder??

mancmum Tue 10-May-05 12:12:29

went to a wedding at alias -- very nice -- SIL stayed there as well and said rooms lovely and nice breakfasts... Lowry is very nice but bit corporate ... my vote would be for either of the Didsbury hotels... very boutiquey and lovely... there are loads of nice bars and restaurants in Didsbury... can recommend some if you give me your tastes....

alicatsg Tue 10-May-05 12:15:21

Its been 19 months since I went out apart from work Christmas do so my tastes are for somewhere relaxed, good food and just nice.

Recommendations would be fab.

Anteater Tue 10-May-05 12:19:52

Went to check out the Lowry for a future visit and the car park 'guard/king' would not let me leave the car for 5 mins..

mancmum Tue 10-May-05 12:36:35

in didsbury there are 2 very nice resaurants called the Lime Tree and Rhubabrb... both win loads of awards ... have a look on this web site for menus... didsbury info - hotels and resturants

There are 2 good pubs... Railway (very small) and Metropolitian (big but good atmosphere and not full of young trendy types) ... there is a wine bar opposite called One that is nice...

There is a nice tapas bar a bistro and the best curry house in Manchester (Katmandu) on the same strtch plus about 6 other restaurants.. most of which are good... but for special you need Rhubarb or Lime tree..

In manchester itself, I would recommend... The Restaurant .. if you like Italian Stock is very nice -- and if you like weird food a la Heston style, go for Juniper in Altrincham... I will think of some more for you later....

very envious -- we are celebtraing our 10 years together soon and I want to plan something similar...

Gobbledigook Tue 10-May-05 12:40:45

I think Juniper is the only restaurant in Mcr with a michelin star! I'm sure someone told me that!

Lucycat Tue 10-May-05 12:44:01

I love the Lime Tree and Greens (veggie) across the road in West Didsbury and Gemini in Didsbury village. Juniper is very strange - the chef Paul something likes to be very 'experimental' with his flavours, ie chocolate with a lot of things the last time I went. Vey odd (and expensive!!)

alicatsg Tue 10-May-05 15:21:58

I'm getting really excited now - have booked the didsbury house hotel which looks wonderful (poss due to lack of toys?).

Now just need to think what to wear and also where to go next day - I like the look of the new museum in Salford, not the lowry one the wierdy architecture one. Does that ring any bells with any wise ones of Mumsnet?

mancmum Tue 10-May-05 15:34:27

where are you eating? Most places in manchester very casual but the restaurants mentioned would expect smartish..

As for Sunday, if you don't mean the imperial war museum, not sure which one you mean? Urbis is quite interesting in Manchester, with a fab cafe downstairs that is lovely for lunch...(there is a very posh French one at the top). the art gallery in Manchester is excellent .. you could then go for a child free wander thru the new shops (harvey nicks,selfridges etc)

alicatsg Tue 10-May-05 16:57:53

oooooh shops. No acvtually trailing DH round shops is not a good plan. Maybe I mean the war museum? I saw a programme on the architect and the building is a wow. (I'm an architecture geek) However I forgot to pay any attention to what was inside.

Think I've been to the art gallery before - quite close to the town hall?

Think we might try the Lime Tree or Cafe Jem and I as have been recommended them by a number of people. Smart might present a challenge for DH thO!

so excited now!!

mancmum Tue 10-May-05 17:12:45

imperial war museum is near the lowry on salford quays.. it is excellent and well recommend it.. Given choice I would go for Lime tree -- it is the best one out of that and Gem and there are some nice bars and pubs near by... although if you are staying in Didsbury House, you will walk past Gem to get to Lime Tree... Lime Tree is in west didsbury about 1.5 miles from hotel... Gem about .5 mile... when are you going?

fairyfly Tue 10-May-05 17:16:12

Urbis the urban exhibition centre ( ie the modern glass building) really bores the pants off me. I think it would be very informative if you had just arrived from mars.

alicatsg Tue 10-May-05 17:35:23

we're going on June 30th - dropping DS off with grandma in the peak district
AAAAAAGES away!

Amanda1 Tue 10-May-05 20:23:41

Message withdrawn

keziah Tue 10-May-05 20:27:26

you should look at my favourite site - www.tripadvisor.com which has reviews of tons of hotels by people who have stayed there. Quite enlightening!
Have a great time!!

giraffeski Tue 10-May-05 20:28:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now