Talk

Advanced search

i keep having an urge to scoop up my three year old and escape for a few days. just the two of us. any ideas where?

(17 Posts)
oranges Wed 03-Jun-09 22:21:03

I've been working so much lately and I miss him. and when we are at home, we just get caught up in chores, tv. would it be madness to try to go somewhere by the beach for a few days? or even a night. If so where? Need to be able to get somewhere by train from london and preferably with a little kitchen so i'm not manhandling a cranky toddler in a restaurant at night.

hf128219 Wed 03-Jun-09 22:22:18

Not crazy! Bournemouth? West Wittering?
Norfolk?

MerlinsBeard Wed 03-Jun-09 22:23:31

you can go pretty much ANYWHERE on the train from London!!

Ivykaty44 Wed 03-Jun-09 22:25:00

YHA - they do double rooms etc and family rooms and cheap and kitchen

Bristol and do the science museum?

PortAndLemon Wed 03-Jun-09 22:25:11

York? Easy train journey and there's a lot to do for children. I took DS (4) and DD (14 months) there for a few days the week before last for the same reasons you're considering it.

oranges Wed 03-Jun-09 22:25:16

yes i know I can go anywhere,, but i need places to stay too that are close to the train station. youth hostels? and isn't bournemouth slightly chock full of old people? i like the name west wittering but dopn't know anything more about it.

hf128219 Wed 03-Jun-09 22:25:52

No beach in York though!

Ivykaty44 Wed 03-Jun-09 22:26:17

Exmoor and do streams and paddling and throwing stones building dams and eating ice cream - Exford has a YHA

Sarimillie Wed 03-Jun-09 22:26:38

Brilliant idea - go for it! Where in London are you? If you're towards the south Brighton or Whitstable would work.

CMOTdibbler Wed 03-Jun-09 22:27:20

Not madness at all - I rather like being with just DS.

As an alternative to beach, why not a hotel with a nice pool so that you can chill out together - then weather doesn't matter.

My theory when away with DS is big cooked lunch, then a sandwich tea for him, and a really nice salad or whatever for me after he's asleep. If in a hotel you can always do room service for the two of you

oranges Wed 03-Jun-09 22:27:33

bristol's too close to cardiff where my parents are and if they got whiff of the fact we were there, they would descend. sussex or norfolk seem promising. can you recommend any yha there?

Ivykaty44 Wed 03-Jun-09 22:27:41

Bristol the YHA is in the center, get a bus?
York may have a YHA and train and bus

kingfix Wed 03-Jun-09 22:28:42

we had a fab time on north norfolk coast - you can get train to sheringham or cromer and then a coasthopper bus to all the beaches and little towns.
also if you can't find anywhere with a kitchen, my 3yo has really enjoyed picnics from tesco in b&b bedrooms.

Ivykaty44 Wed 03-Jun-09 22:29:01

Stow on the wold has a YHA

Southwold? That is lovely seaside place just to potter around.

oranges Wed 03-Jun-09 22:31:54

Thanks for the suggestions. A otel with nice pool is a good idea but i hate the faffing with drying and changing with pools. at least on a beach you paddle and splash, rather than actually swim.

Amnd I'm not sure a big midday meal and sandwiches won't really work - he needs lots of little meals often.

oranges Wed 03-Jun-09 22:33:18

whitstable! what a fab idea. and the train station is right by the beach, isn't it? And he loves stones, so the pebble beach is perfect.

Sarimillie Wed 03-Jun-09 22:38:04

Train station not too far from the beach in Whitstable - we went with ds in a buggy and the walk to the beach/cottage was fine. We went this time last year, when he was 2.5, and he loved it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now